What’s creamy and hearty and comforting and warm? It’s not soup, it’s not pasta – it’s polenta! Polenta is finely ground cornmeal that is simmered in water or broth until thick and bubbly. When it cools, polenta becomes firm and solid. You can slice it and fry it, bake it, or grill it like I did in my recipe for vegan polenta under creamy white beans and blistered tomatoes. Bonus: polenta is gluten-free! In this recipe for vegan polenta with herb roasted mushrooms, the polenta is meant to be eaten warm and creamy and topped with delicious roasted mushrooms.
If you can boil spaghetti, you can absolutely make polenta. All you have to do is bring some vegetable broth to a boil and pour the polenta in slowly, stirring all the while to prevent it from clumping. Lower the heat and continue to simmer and stir the polenta until it’s super soft, thick, and goopy.
The polenta takes exactly as long to make as it does for the mushrooms to roast in the oven. Stick the mushrooms in at the same time as you begin simmering the polenta so everything is fresh and warm when you’re ready to serve.
Polenta is creamy on its own, but it’s even creamier and more decadent when mixed with our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread. It adds a hint of smoky, cheesy flavor and really takes this vegan polenta recipe to the next level!
Spoon the polenta into bowls and top with a generous scoop of herb roasted mushrooms. This would make such a great winter dinner paired with a fresh salad– which we have plenty of vegan recipes for! I hope you enjoy this super quick and easy recipe.
View More Vegan Recipes
Vegan Polenta Recipe
with Herb Roasted Mushrooms
Check Out Our Vegan Salad Recipes To Complete This Meal
- 12 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup polenta
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard. Slice the mushrooms in half and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and toss immediately to coat – mushrooms absorb oil like sponges!
- Season the mushrooms with dried oregano and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Spill the mushrooms onto the prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- Pour the vegetable broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Slowly pour the polenta into the broth, stirring to prevent clumping. Season the polenta with ½ teaspoon sea salt and reduce the heat to low.
- Place the mushrooms in the oven and set your timer for 20 minutes. When done, the mushrooms should be soft and caramelized.
- Continue to simmer the polenta, stirring frequently, until creamy and smooth, about 20 minutes. If the polenta starts to get dry or stick to the bottom of the pan, add a splash more vegetable broth or water and stir until creamy again.
- Turn off the heat and stir the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread into the polenta. Season with more salt, to taste.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and toss with fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Spoon the polenta into bowls and top with herbed mushrooms. Enjoy warm.