Is there anything more comforting than a warm baked potato on a cold day? I turned the best cold weather comfort food into a smooth and creamy soup topped with a big dollop of Plant Perks Vegan Sour Cream. Maple chipotle roasted chickpeas offer so much extra flavor and fun texture to this savory vegan soup!
Right away you’ll notice there’s nothing baked about this potato soup recipe. Everything is simmered in the same pot for convenience and minimal cleanup. The flavor, however, is right on par with your favorite baked potato topped with all of the fixings. Our Plant Perks Vegan Sour Cream is the ultimate garnish – it’s smooth, tangy, and exactly how you remember enjoying an old fashioned baked potato.
In my opinion, this Vegan Baked Potato Soup Recipe wouldn’t be complete without a chewy, smoky topping. Some baked potato recipes suggest using bacon bits or pieces so I whipped up some maple chipotle roasted chickpeas and they totally hit the spot. Just mix up your marinade, drizzle it over some chickpeas, and roast until they’re crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Try not to snack on the entire batch before dinner!
This is a great prep-ahead recipe for busy weeknights when you just want to melt into the couch after a long day. Both the soup and the chickpeas will stay fresh in the fridge for several days. Just keep a package of Plant Perks Vegan Sour Cream on hand and you’re set for a delicious, cozy dinner at home. I hope you enjoy this one!
Vegan Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Maple chipotle chickpeas
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Pinch of sea salt
Vegan baked potato soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion, diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper
2 pounds golden potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 package Plant Perks Vegan Sour Cream (for serving)
Fresh chives and parsley, finely chopped (for serving)
For the maple chipotle chickpeas
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dry the chickpeas with a few paper towels, then spill them onto the baking sheet.
- Combine the maple syrup, soy sauce, chipotle chili powder, and a big pinch of sea salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the chickpeas and stir to evenly coat them. Bake the chickpeas for 25 to 27 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the chickpeas are crisp. Season with a touch more salt and set aside.
For the vegan baked potato soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Sauté the veggies for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir to combine everything together. Pour the vegetable broth over the veggies and add the bay leaves.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft. Turn off the heat.
- When the soup has cooled slightly, work in batches to blend it in your blender. For a chunkier soup, blend just half of the soup and pour it back into the pot. Season with more salt and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with Plant Perks Vegan Sour Cream, maple chipotle chickpeas, and fresh herbs. Enjoy warm.