Thanksgiving is so close I can practically taste it! I don’t know about you, but I’ve had my menu finalized for weeks. I get so excited to make a huge spread of delicious vegan food for my family and friends no matter who is hosting. This year, I’m contributing Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Bruschetta to the table. It’s tasty, comes together quickly, and looks so festive on a platter. Would you look at those gorgeous colors?
If you can believe it, this recipe only requires eight ingredients – including salt and pepper! It’s a great recipe to make when you’re short on time. This appetizer only took 25 minutes to make from start to finish. There’s plenty of time to prep everything while the squash roasts in the oven. Yes, even getting every last seed out of your pomegranate.
Do you know how to get the seeds out of a pomegranate without making a red mess all over your kitchen? This trick will change your life this season! Just fill a bowl with water, submerge half of your pomegranate, and remove the seeds by hand underwater. Discard the skin/pulp and repeat with the other half of the fruit. When you’re done, drain the water and any pieces of debris stuck to the seeds. Easy peasy.
When your squash is done roasting, transfer it to the bowl of pomegranate seeds and add some fresh parsley. Toss everything together and season with a bit more salt.
Our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread provides a smooth, tangy, and slightly smoky base for this simple vegan bruschetta recipe. It complements the topping oh-so-perfectly! If you’d like, add a drizzle of agave over the bruschetta prior to serving for an extra kick of sweetness.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday! Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Butternut Squash & Pomegranate
- 12 oz. butternut squash, small diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 pomegranate
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 baguette
- 1 container Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Spill the butternut squash onto a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the squash is tender.
- Fill a bowl with water. Slice the pomegranate in half and submerge one of the halves in the water. Use your fingers to remove the seeds from the flesh of the pomegranate, leaving the seeds in the bowl. Once you’ve extracted all the seeds, drain the water.
- Transfer the roasted squash to the bowl with the pomegranate seeds and add the fresh parsley. Toss to combine and season with salt, to taste.
- Slice the baguette into 1-inch pieces, about 20 total. Spread Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread on each piece of bread and top with a spoonful of the squash/pomegranate mixture. Transfer to a platter and serve.