Can one ever have too many vegan soup recipes in their repertoire? Sometimes I wonder if I share too many soup recipes, but personally, I’m always down to try a new one. Winter weather is a perfect excuse, too– even though it’s been very mild in Missoula so far🤞! I’m sure a lot of you are also powering through winter fueled by soups and stews, so I wanted to add a little something to your weeknight dinner routine. This week I whipped up a creamy, hearty soup filled with chickpeas, wild rice, and veggies. Introducing, my Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe!
Once you get it going, this soup recipe is pretty hands off. It all starts by sautéing some onion, garlic, carrot, and celery in a smidge of olive oil. Add the mushrooms next and cook until they’re just soft. Then pour in the veggie broth, chickpeas, and wild rice and throw some fresh rosemary and thyme in the pot. Bring it all to a boil, cover, and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, until the wild rice is tender. Scoop a container of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread into the pot and stir until creamy and dreamy. The cheeze spread adds such great flavor and a luxurious texture that takes this vegan soup recipe to the next level.
Honestly, that’s it! You’ve got a flavorful, hearty soup on the dinner table in about an hour. Season with salt to taste (it’ll depend on how salty your vegetable broth is) and sprinkle with some vegan parmesan if you have it on hand. I love serving this Chickpea and Wild Rice Soup with a chunk of toasted bread for dipping. It doesn’t get much better than this, friends. Stay warm out there!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup wild rice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Toasted bread, for serving (optional)
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for three minutes. Then add the carrot and celery. Continue to sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook until soft and reduced, about 7 minutes. Season with salt.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the wild rice, chickpeas, rosemary, and thyme. Turn up the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer for 45 minutes. When done, the wild rice should be tender.
- Scoop the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread into the soup and stir until thick and creamy. Remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs from the pot and season the soup with more salt, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with toasted bread.