November is HERE and I have Thanksgiving on the brain! This year we have almost four full weeks to dream and scheme about what to serve at the big meal. The only downside to having a late Thanksgiving is that there’s less time to get into the Christmas spirit. I *almost* don’t care because all I can focus on right now is the idea of sitting at my dinner table and shoveling these vegan-friendly, creamy, garlic & herb mashed potatoes into my mouth. If you’re wondering how to make vegan mashed potatoes that are creamy and flavor loaded, well, you are precisely where you need to be. Keep reading to find out!
Whoever said you need milk and butter to make creamy mashed potatoes clearly hasn’t made them with my Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. It lends such fantastic flavor and texture! Combined with a bit of non-dairy milk and vegan butter, I don’t think anyone at your Thanksgiving table will be able to tell the difference between these vegan mashed potatoes and the traditional stuff.
One of my favorite things about fall cooking is using tons of herbs. This time of year, I’m all about rosemary and thyme. So, I loaded up these garlic & herb mashed potatoes with both! An extra sprinkle of herbs on top, along with a swirl of good olive oil, makes for a side dish that’s a feast for both the eyes and mouth.
You could serve these creamy vegan garlic & herb mashed potatoes with a drizzle of vegan mushroom gravy if you’d like. If not, they shine on their own in all of their garlicky, herby glory. Do you have a favorite mushroom gravy recipe you like to make as a veggie option at your family Thanksgiving? If so, let me know! Oh, and if you make this creamy vegan mashed potatoes recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation.
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Garlic & Herb Edition
Serves 6 to 8
- 3 pounds of gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into quarters
- ½ cup plain non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (plus more for topping)
- ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (plus more for topping)
- Drizzle of good olive oil
- Place the quartered potatoes in a large stockpot and it fill with water so that the potatoes are covered by about an inch. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer the potatoes, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the non-dairy milk, vegan butter, Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread, salt, and pepper.
- Use a potato masher or an electric hand mixer to whip the potatoes until fluffy and smooth. Stir in the fresh herbs and adjust seasonings to taste (I added another pinch of salt).
- Transfer the garlic & herb mashed potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle with extra herbs and drizzle with olive oil, if desired. Serve with vegan butter or mushroom gravy.