We are deep into corn season and I am so here for it! Corn on the cob is a classic summer BBQ staple that almost everyone can enjoy. It’s vegan and gluten-free, which means it’s on regular rotation in my house this time of year. Whether the grill is occupied with other veggies or you don’t feel like cooking outdoors in the summer heat, I’m here to show you how to make absolutely delicious skillet corn right on your stovetop!
I know there’s a lot of confusion around whether corn is healthy, especially in regards to GMOs. Here’s the scoop: genetically modified corn is mostly found in processed foods. If you read labels on breakfast cereals, chips, and other packaged items, you’ll probably see corn among the ingredients. The good news is that only a small percentage of sweet corn grown here in the U.S. is genetically modified. To be extra careful, opt for USDA-certified organic corn. Genetically modified crops are banned under organic standards.
Cooking corn on the stove top is so easy, I don’t know why I haven’t been doing this my whole adult life. Just heat some olive oil in a large skillet and add the corn so each piece has contact with the bottom of the pan. Use tongs to turn the corn every few minutes until it’s bright yellow on all sides and slightly browned in a few spots. To finish, we’re going to steam the corn for a few minutes. This will ensure each kernel is tender and juicy!
Finally, top off each piece of corn with a generous slathering of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. This is seriously my new favorite way to enjoy it! I recommend sprinkling the corn with some fresh herbs just before serving to add an extra flavor punch. I used basil but I think cilantro, parsley, or dill would be delicious, too!
Vegan Garlic & Herb Skillet Corn Recipe
Vegan Elote Corn Dip Recipe
Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
Mexican Style Street Corn Fritters Recipe
Creamy White Beans and Tomatoes Over Vegan Polenta Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ears of corn, husks removed and ends trimmed
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, for garnish (I used basil)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Place the corn in the skillet and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cook, turning the corn occasionally, until bright in color and slightly browned in spots on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the water into the skillet and quickly cover. Steam the corn for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook the corn, scraping any stuck on garlic bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the water has cooked off. This should take another 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- Spread a tablespoon of Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread on each ear of corn and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Garnish the corn with fresh herbs and transfer to a serving platter. Enjoy warm.