It may be starting to feel like fall in some parts of the country, but I haven’t given up on summer just yet. I wanted to sneak in one last warm weather recipe before the autumn chill swoops in! This Mexican Style Street Corn Fritters Recipe was inspired by the hundreds of elote recipes I’ve been seeing on my Pinterest feed. Most of them are loaded with dairy, but I knew I could make a delicious fritter version using plant-based ingredients. Obviously, our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread was a perfect fit for the job.
Getting the Perfect Hold on These Corn Fritters
In the past I’ve been intimidated by homemade veggie burger and fritter recipes because they always fall apart in the pan. Not these little guys. Between the flax egg and a whole container of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, these are plenty sticky and hold their shapes like champs. For extra holding power, feel free to experiment with adding another flax egg. If you do, I recommend excluding the tablespoon of almond milk. The perfect fritter comes down to a balance of wet and dry ingredients.
Adding the Final Touches to the Corn Fritters
The jalapeño in these Mexican street corn fritters recipe is totally optional. Personally, I like the little extra kick. It’s not overpowering and it adds some nice fresh flavor. If you skip it, just add a touch more corn or green onion to keep the ingredient ratio in check. Speaking of green onion, make sure you save a bit for garnish. Along with vegan sour cream and vegan parmesan, it really seals the deal on these corn fritters. Salsa and avocado would also make awesome additions. Get creative and let me know if you make these by tagging me on Instagram!
Mexican Style Street Corn Fritters Recipe
- 2 cups of corn
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup green onion, chopped (plus more for serving)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, minced (optional)
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2½ tablespoons water)
- 1 container Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Lime wedges, vegan sour cream, and vegan parmesan, for serving
- Combine the corn, cilantro, green onion, jalapeño (if using), and lime juice in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Make your flax egg in a small bowl by combining the flaxseed meal and water and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the corn and toss. Then stir in the flax egg, Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, and almond milk. Use a large spoon to mix and mash the mixture into a sticky paste.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet (keep it handy, you’ll need more). Scoop a quarter cup of the corn mixture into the skillet and shape into a circle. Press down lightly and cook for 3 to 4 minutes before carefully flipping it over and cooking on the other side. Transfer the fritter to a plate lined with paper towels and repeat with the rest of the corn mixture, adding a touch more olive oil as needed. Using a ¼ cup, you’ll get exactly 10 fritters from this recipe.
- Transfer the fitters to a serving plate and top with vegan sour cream, sliced green onion, and vegan parmesan. Garnish with lime wedges.