Have you ever had monkey bread? You might know it as puzzle bread, pull apart bread, or (ahem) monkey balls but it’s all the same. No matter what you call it, monkey bread is made from little chunks of dough that are dunked in cinnamon and sugar, baked, and drizzled with icing. Vegan Monkey bread is freakin’ delicious. I decided to make a savory appetizer version of this yummy dessert using our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. Holy moly, this stuff is amazing!
While I’m all about making my meals from scratch, bread dough is one of those things I don’t usually have the time or patience for. If you do, please use your favorite recipe for this garlic & herb vegan monkey bread! I cracked open a couple of cans of Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Biscuits because the work is already done for me. This product in particular is one of those “accidentally vegan” items that make life easier when you’ve got two kids and not enough arms or hours in the day to make homemade bread dough.
Here’s the gist of this savory and delicious garlic & herb vegan monkey bread. First, you’ll slice the biscuits into four equal pieces. Then, you’ll coat the little dough hunks in our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread to load them with flavor. A quick toss in a bowl full of fresh herbs and vegan parmesan cheese (I use a recipe from Minimalist Baker) and you’re almost there.
Next, arrange the dough pieces in a bundt pan or baking dish. Then bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top of the vegan monkey bread is golden and the dough is cooked through. If you notice the top of the bread browning too quickly, tent the pan with aluminum foil and continue cooking until the biscuits are totally cooked. I didn’t have any marinara on hand this time, but I highly recommend serving with a side of warm sauce for dunking. Enjoy!!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Garlic & Herb Vegan Monkey Bread Recipe
- 2 packages of Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- ½ cup vegan parmesan (I use this recipe)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- Marinara sauce, warmed, for dipping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and mist a 9×13 baking dish (or 12 cup bundt pan) with cooking spray.
- Combine the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread, olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vegan parmesan and fresh herbs and toss.
- Remove the biscuits from the fridge (keep them refrigerated as long as possible for maximum fluffiness). Separate the biscuits into 16 pieces and then cut each biscuit into four chunks. Coat each piece of dough in the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread mixture and then roll in the herb mixture.
- Arrange the dough pieces in the oiled baking dish or bundt pan. The pieces should be touching – it’s okay to stack them!
- Bake the Garlic & Herb Monkey Bread for 45 to 50 minutes, until fully cooked and golden on top. If the bread starts browning before the dough is cooked in the middle, tent the baking dish with foil and stick it back in the oven.
- Set the Garlic & Herb Monkey Bread aside to cool slightly before digging in. Serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.