Halloween is around the corner and one thing is for sure – the pumpkin obsession is real. Whether you’re part of the pumpkin movement or slightly annoyed by the popularity of a squash, there’s no denying the versatility of this autumn crop. You can carve it, bake it, blend it, or swirl it into creamy dreamy pasta sauce. That’s exactly what I’ve done in this recipe for a healthier take on vegan pumpkin mac & cheese.
Convenience is Queen
The convenience of buying pumpkin in a can is unrivaled. Removing the seeds, roasting, and pureeing pumpkin takes a lot of time and effort. Save all that hard work for lifting your fork to your face over and over again because this vegan pumpkin mac & cheese is too delicious to take just one bite!
If You Can Boil Water, You Can Make This Recipe.
If you’re in search of a festive weeknight dinner, look no further. My vegan pumpkin mac & cheese recipe couldn’t be simpler to make– and is much healthier than the dairy packed version. Simply cook your noodles, drain them, and pour them back in the pot. Meanwhile, you’ll sauté a bit of garlic in olive oil before pouring a can of pumpkin into the skillet. Some non-dairy milk and vegetable broth provide just the right consistency. Scoop two containers of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread into the skillet and stir, stir, stir. In a matter of moments, a gorgeous creamy sauce will appear before your eyes.
Dump those cooked noodles into the skillet and gently stir to coat the pasta in the pumpkin sauce. That’s it!! Top your bowl with a bit of sage for more festive flavor and you’ve got a fiber-loaded meal perfectly suited for the fall season.
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound of pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 containers Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- Fresh sage, for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, but don’t rinse. Return the pasta to the cooking pot.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the pumpkin puree and non-dairy milk. Season with salt.
- Scoop the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread into the skillet and stir until the sauce is creamy and smooth. Pour the cooked pasta into the skillet and gently toss to coat the noodles in the sauce.
- Divide the vegan pumpkin mac & cheese between serving bowls and top with sage.