It’s the middle of July and it’s flippin’ hot outside! It seems like the entire country is experiencing a massive heat wave this week. Amidst your efforts to stay cool by cranking the A/C and hitting up the pool, don’t forget about your garden. These steamy temps will leave your fruits, veggies, and herbs begging for some extra H2O! Take care of your garden and you’ll be rewarded with gorgeous produce perfect for baking this Heirloom Tomato & Summer Squash Tart.
This beautiful tart looks super extra but it’s actually not hard to make. Aside from some fresh picked heirloom tomatoes, zucchini, and summer squash, all you need is a container of our Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze, a pie crust, and a few seasonings. If you don’t feel like making your own pie crust (it’s really not too difficult) you might be able to find a pre-made vegan pie crust in the refrigerated or frozen section. The Simple Truth Organic brand has a vegan pie crust – do you know of any others?
To avoid a soggy tart, you’ll definitely want to salt and drain your tomatoes prior to baking. Salt encourages the fruit to release excess moisture. Just set the tomatoes in a strainer over a large bowl, toss with salt, and let them sit while you roll out your pie crust and spread it with Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze. Layer some sliced zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes on top and sprinkle with black pepper and Italian seasonings. Remember to leave a one-inch border all the way around so you can fold the crust up and over the filling. Give everything a nice spray of coconut oil and bake until crispy. Yum.
All that’s left to do is garnish with fresh basil, slice, and serve! This Heirloom Tomato & Summer Squash Tart is exactly what your summer dinner table has been missing. Tell your skeptical friends it’s just fancy pizza (this works on kids, too) and watch them devour every last crumb.
Heirloom Tomato & Summer Squash Tart
- 1 pound of heirloom tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ zucchini, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- ½ summer squash, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 vegan pie crust
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze
- Few twists of cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you’re using a pre-made pie crust, take it out of the fridge to soften.
- Place a mesh strainer over a mixing bowl. Set the sliced tomatoes in the strainer and toss with salt to release moisture. Check on the tomatoes every few minutes and pour off any liquid that has collected in the bowl.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on a clean work surface and unroll the pie crust. Dust a little bit more flour on top of the crust and use a rolling pin to flatten. Transfer the pie crust to the prepared baking sheet.
- Scoop the Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze onto the pie crust and use a spoon to spread it in an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around.
- Place a layer of zucchini and summer squash slices on top of the cream cheeze, followed by a layer of tomatoes. Finish it off with a few more pieces of zucchini and summer squash, then season with black pepper and Italian seasonings. Fold the edges of the pie crust over the filling and lightly mist with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Bake the heirloom tomato & summer squash tart for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and crisp. Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil. Slice and serve warm.