It’s that time of year when farmers’ markets start phasing out summer produce and ushering in a new crop of cooler weather veggies. While I’m always sad to see colorful berries, juicy tomatoes, and ripe peaches make an exit, it’s exciting to get to play with fall fruits and vegetables again. Right now, sweet corn is entering its peak. What better way to use it than in our creamy, warm, and comforting vegan corn chowder recipe?
The Best Chowder is Dairy-Free
I love making vegan corn chowder this time of year because summer produce is still flowing, but the nights are just cool enough to crave a warm bowl of soup. Typically, corn chowder is made using condensed soup, milk, and other heavy ingredients. My vegan version is dairy-free and light, while still completely satisfying. I used our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread to give this late summer vegan corn chowder a creamy texture and smoky kick. After ladling into bowls, I recommend dusting each with a sprinkle of smoked paprika for even more flavor.
This late summer corn chowder is hearty enough as the recipe is written. But, I have a little trick for you. To make a thicker corn chowder, allow the cooked soup to cool slightly and transfer half to a blender. Pour the blended chowder back into the pot, mix, and you’ve got one heck of a thick and hearty stew!
One of my favorite things about making soup with seasonal ingredients is freezing a portion for later. There’s honestly nothing better than enjoying the fresh flavors of summer when it’s snowing and below zero outside! This late summer corn chowder is no exception. I’m definitely going to make another batch or two to stash in the freezer and slurp all winter long.
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this vegan corn chowder recipe and what you thought of it!
Late Summer Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 4 ears of sweet corn, sliced off the cob
- 1 cup gold potatoes, small diced
- 1½ cups zucchini, small diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, chopped, plus more for serving
- Smoked paprika, for serving
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, sweet corn, potatoes, zucchini, and tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine the ingredients. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, and Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread and stir to mix. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the chowder has thickened. Season with salt and black pepper and stir in the green onion.
- Ladle the corn chowder into bowls and garnish with extra green onion and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.