Is there anything better than tomatoes from the garden? Once you’ve experienced how amazing a cherry tomato tastes fresh off the vine and still warm from the summer sun it’s hard to go back to buying them at the store. Luckily, tomatoes grow really well in containers, making it feasible for pretty much anyone to grow them regardless of space constraints. Speaking of stuff that’s easy to grow at home, how about basil? I bought a small plant a few months ago and it’s thriving on my kitchen windowsill. The combination of tomato and basil absolutely screams summer and make for adorable hors d’oeuvres if I do say so myself.
These cute little mini toasts with blistered tomatoes and basil are the epitome of a summer snack. It all starts with choosing the right vehicle for all of that fresh flavor. Any bite-sized bread or cracker will do. I originally wanted to use mini flatbreads but decided something sturdier would hold up better. You can slice a baguette into pieces and toast them, or just buy a box of crackers like I did. Triscuits are one of those “accidentally vegan” foods that come in so handy for recipes like these.
Our Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze complements the tomato and basil so well. Just spread a teaspoon or so onto each cracker and top with blistered tomatoes and basil. A final sprinkle of sea salt amplifies all of the flavor. If you can’t imagine standing over your stove in the heat of summer, you can skip the blistered effect and just stick fresh cherry tomatoes straight on your little cream cheeze toasts. However, I will say that lightly caramelizing the tomatoes makes them super tender and adds loads of yummy flavor. Plus, they look beautiful.
These mini toasts with blistered tomatoes and basil couldn’t be easier to make, yet they look incredibly impressive on a summer dinner table. Let me know if you make them by tagging me on Instagram @plant_perks!
Mini Toasts with Blistered Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze
- 1 package of crostini or crackers
- Small handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add cherry tomatoes in a single layer (they should sizzle when they hit the skillet). Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir to get a slightly caramelized effect on all sides. The tomatoes should take about 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, spread the Garlic & Herb Cream Cheeze on your crostini or crackers. Sprinkle with the sliced basil and top each with a blistered tomato. Finish it all off with a light sprinkling of sea salt and a few more tiny pieces of basil.