Let me start by saying this is not your average vegan potato salad recipe. I’ve never been a fan of those super creamy potato salads where you’re not even sure what you’re eating. Is it a potato, or is it a giant glob of mayo? Bleh. Why does the hallmark of summer picnics have to be so heavy and loaded with dairy? My answer: it doesn’t have to be! This might truly be the perfect summer potato salad. Let’s dive into the details of this Easy Vegan Potato Salad Recipe.
Perfecting the Potatoes
First of all, we’re leaving the skin on the potatoes because it helps them maintain some structure once they’re cooked. Plus, the skins of fruits and veggies contain vitamins and nutrients that are otherwise tossed away. Chop the potatoes into cubes, boil, and drain as soon as they’re fork tender. We don’t want to end up with mashed potatoes! Dunking the potatoes in an ice bath will stop the cooking – this step is essential, so don’t skip it.
Less Mayo More Health- Making the Dressing
Yes, I’ll admit it– there’s a small amount of vegan mayo in this Easy Vegan Potato Salad Recipe. If you’re completely anti-vegan mayo you can use some plain non-dairy yogurt instead. But honestly, you can’t really taste it once it’s blended with our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. Combined, the duo makes a delightfully tangy dressing. Celery adds some very necessary crunch, while red onion, green onion, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs add loads of color and flavor. A squeeze of lemon juice brightens everything up and, of course, a bit of salt and black pepper ties it all together.
This perfect summer potato salad is going to be a massive hit at all of your backyard barbeques. Despite having a creamy dressing, it’s light and refreshing and I could honestly eat four bowls of it without a problem. It’s also a great make-ahead recipe if you’re prepping a bunch of dishes! Let us know how you like it by tagging me on Instagram @plant_perks.
Easy Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
a healthier version that doesn’t skimp on flavor
- 1½ pounds of gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 package Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (or plain non-dairy yogurt)
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced (green part only)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup fresh herbs (dill, basil, and/or parsley)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Place the chopped potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Add salt (the water should taste like the ocean) and bring to a boil. Boil for 6 to 7 minutes, until the potatoes are tender but aren’t falling apart. Drain and transfer the potatoes to the ice bath to stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, prep the dressing. Combine the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread with the vegan mayo in a blender. Blend until smooth, about a minute. Scoop the dressing into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the celery, red onion, green onion, tomato, and fresh herbs. Drain the potatoes and add them to the bowl as well. Drizzle the potato salad with half of the dressing and the juice from half a lemon. Season with a pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, add the rest of the dressing and give the potato salad one final stir. Garnish with more fresh herbs and serve.