And just like that, it’s fall in Montana. It always sneaks up quickly but when autumn does arrive, I immediately start craving all sorts of warming soups. Cool weather crops like carrots, squash, and pumpkin make fabulous bases for some of my favorite recipes. They roast up beautifully for chunky stews and can easily be blended to make silky smooth soups like this one. I absolutely love the combination of carrot and dill, and this Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe marries the two flavors in one satisfying bowl.
Why roast the carrots when you can just simmer them in the veggie broth? So glad you asked! Roasting brings out so much more flavor than cooking in liquid. You’ll want to roast the carrots until they’re slightly caramelized – that’s when the flavor magic happens. Then you can add them to your stockpot. The flavors will meld together in the broth and result in a much more robust vegan soup.
Allow the soup to cool a bit before ladling it into your blender. If you have an immersion blender, now would be a great time to pull it out. Be careful not to load up your blender too full – you definitely don’t want hot soup splattered all over your clothes (oops!) or kitchen. Then, return the soup to the pot and whisk in the Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread. It lends such a nice pop of flavor and loads of creamy texture! Of course, I had to add more fresh dill on top of my soup. I’m slightly obsessed with it.
This recipe for roasted carrot dill vegan soup makes four generous bowls of soup – you can stretch it even further by serving it with bread or a salad. I imagine I’ll be eating this soup all winter long. It’s so cozy and comforting after a long day! I hope you love it as much as I do.
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package Plant Perks Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Arrange the carrot and onion on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the carrots are tender and lightly caramelized.
- Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the roasted carrot and onion. Pour in the vegetable broth and turn up the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavors, then remove from heat.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then use a ladle to carefully transfer it to a blender. Blend (working in batches) until completely smooth.
- Return the soup to the stockpot and place over low heat. Whisk in the Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread. Taste for salt and add another pinch if needed (I added another ½ teaspoon).
- To serve, ladle the Roasted Carrot Dill Soup into bowls and garnish with fresh dill.