What’s orange and cheerful and popping up everywhere from lattes to pasta this season? Pumpkin, of course! It’s officially been fall for a couple of weeks but now that October is here I’m ready to embrace all things autumn. I think it’s easy to overdo it with pumpkin this time of year and I don’t want to burn out. So, I made a super subtle pumpkin recipe that doesn’t scream “pumpkin spice” whatsoever. In fact, the pumpkin is barely detectable in this Smoky Vegan Pumpkin Chili Recipe thanks to layers of texture and savory flavor.
You’ll find the usual suspects in this Smoky Vegan Pumpkin Chili – onion, garlic, tomatoes, and beans. What makes it special is the spices! Chili powder and cumin provide familiar flavor while smoked chipotle powder gives the entire dish a smoky kick that takes it to the next level. If you don’t have smoked chipotle powder you could swap in smoked paprika. I also added cinnamon to this chili. It’s not something I usually do, but it works super well with the fall flavor palate. You might be surprised at how tasty it is! If you’re sensitive to heat or serving this Smoky Vegan Pumpkin Chili Recipe to kiddos, omit the smoked chipotle powder/smoked paprika or just add a little bit to taste.
Beauty is in the Eye of the Pumpkin.. and the Toppings
Can you believe there’s an entire can of pumpkin hiding in this hearty chili? It’s basically invisible and a great way to sneak some extra vitamins and minerals into your diet. Pumpkin is high in beta-carotene and dietary fiber and can even boost your immune system, which is just what our bodies need as the temps cool down. Of course, I can’t forget to mention the toppings. I added a huge scoop of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread to the top of my bowl. Now that I’ve done it once, it’s non-negotiable. It provides such incredible flavor and creamy texture!
Chopped green onion, cilantro, and even crushed tortilla chips would make terrific additions to this chili as well. I hope this Smoky Vegan Pumpkin Chili becomes a staple on your weekly dinner menu!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Smoky Vegan Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Squeeze of lime juice
- 1 container Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread, for serving
- Sliced green onion and cilantro, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chili powder, smoked chipotle powder, cumin, and cinnamon.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, pumpkin, and beans. Stir in the tomato paste and season with salt. Increase heat to medium and simmer the chili for 15 to 20 minutes, until it’s thickened up a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Remove the chili from heat and stir in a squeeze of lime juice. Ladle the chili into bowls and top each with a dollop of Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread. Garnish with sliced green onion and cilantro.