This is going to sound silly, but some of my most vivid memories of sleepovers as a kid were the snacks. I’m not kidding! Of course, I remember prank calling radio stations and talking about boys – who doesn’t? Pre-teen antics aside, I was always fascinated by the different snacks my friends’ parents kept stocked in the pantry and freezer. One of these foreign foods was taquitos. I saw them in the freezer section of my grocery store recently and was compelled to create a healthier, homemade version. Introducing, my Spicy Black Bean Vegan Taquitos recipe!
At first glance, taquitos don’t appear to be anything more than rolled up tacos. Sure, they have a lot of the same components, but what I love about taquitos is that they’re toasty warm and perfectly crispy for dipping in salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream – you name it. I made these Spicy Black Bean Vegan Taquitos with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread and it added the perfect amount of creamy texture and spicy kick!
The first step in making taquitos is softening the tortillas – this will prevent them from crumbling and cracking when you roll them up. I wrapped up two or three tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwaved them for 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can lightly spray the tortillas with water, wrap them in foil, and stick them in a 350F degree oven for a few minutes.
Once your tortillas are nice and soft, it’s time to load them up with creamy cashew cheese and spicy black beans. If you warmed your tortillas and they’re still exploding when you roll them up, they probably aren’t fresh. I prefer getting tortillas at my local Mexican grocery store because they’re packaged and sold the day they’re made. It doesn’t get any fresher than that!
While these Spicy Black Bean Vegan Taquitos are delicious on their own, I love pairing them with flavorful toppings. Set a pile of taquitos in the middle of your table and fill a few small bowls with different ingredients so everyone can make their own!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Spicy Black Bean Vegan Taquitos Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 12 corn tortillas
- Green onion
- Vegan sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 425F and mist a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Warm the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and jalapeño and sauté for a minute, until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, water, cumin, paprika, chili powder, maple syrup, and salt to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking the black beans over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, lightly mashing the beans with a spoon. Taste the black beans and adjust flavors to your liking.
- Wet two paper towels and place a few corn tortillas between them. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften the tortillas so they don’t break when you roll them up. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, warming them up as you go.
- Spread a spoonful of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread on a tortilla. Add a line of the bean mixture down the center and then roll it up tightly. Place the taquito seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and black bean mixture until you’ve used it all. You should get about 12 taquitos total. Mist the rolled up taquitos with cooking spray.
- Bake the taquitos for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they’re golden and crispy. Remove the taquitos from the oven and serve warm with your favorite toppings.