Asian food has a special place in my heart. When I was first pregnant with Milo I spent a month in Thailand at a plant-based cooking academy. In my course we not only churned out a lot of vegan cheeze, we made some really interesting raw vegan Thai dishes that were as beautiful as they were tasty. It’s hard to believe that experience was three and a half years ago. Where has the time gone? And how do I have a kid in school?! It’s been a while since I’ve drawn on the Asian flavors I fell in love with that winter in Thailand. After a bit of reminiscing, I came up with this Baked Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe.
I think it goes without saying there isn’t a stitch of seafood in these crispy, cheesy dumplings, but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway. These gorgeous little bites are vegan! Instead of crab, I used a savory mash of shredded cabbage, carrots, green onion, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread perfectly nails the creamy aspect of traditional crab rangoon and an extra sprinkle of green onion elevates the flavor of these beauties to mind-blowing territory.
Traditionally, crab rangoon is deep fried in oil, but I kept my Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe on the healthier side by baking them for about 15 minutes. They crisped up beautifully and taste just as amazing! I’m a sucker for toasted sesame oil so I gave them an extra drizzle once they were done baking, along with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Pour some soy sauce (or coconut aminos to keep this dish soy-free) into a dish for dunking and you’ve got yourself an incredibly delicious appetizer for your Asian-inspired meal. Or, do what I did and split the plate with your S.O. for dinner!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this Baked Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe and what you thought of it!
Baked Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (plus more for drizzling)
- ½ cup green onion, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (plus more for dipping)
- 1 container Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Warm the toasted sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green onion, ginger, and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrot to the mixing bowl along with the soy sauce and Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. Mix to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add a tablespoon of the veggie/cream cheeze mixture to the center of a wonton wrapper. Use your finger to wet all four sides of the wrapper and bring all four corners to meet in the middle. Seal the seams and place the stuffed wonton wrapper on a baking sheet. Repeat until you use all of the filling (this recipe makes about 16).
- Bake the vegan crab rangoon for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through to ensure even toasting. Remove from the oven and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Arrange the vegan crab rangoon on a plate and sprinkle with more chopped green onion and sesame seeds. Serve with soy sauce for dipping.