Breaking news: did you know that there’s a vegan menu at Taco Bell? Apparently it’s been a thing for a while, but I only recently found out. I definitely don’t make it a habit to eat fast food or support restaurants that serve animal products, but it’s nice to know it’s an option in an emergency. I do, however, make it a habit to eat delicious creations inspired by popular menu items. Introducing, my Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe.
I knew my last recipe of 2019 had to be a good one, and this Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme really came through. It’s everything I love about Mexican food stuffed in a soft, toasted tortilla. The flavor story is absolutely bonkers! It all starts with a creamy layer of our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread. It has that perfect nacho cheese flavor that a crunchwrap requires, with none of the dairy (obviously). On top of that, I layered some vegan sour cream, soy chorizo, and chopped tomato.
Next up, a crispy corn tortilla. This step is critical! It supplies the “crunch” in crunchwrap. You can buy tostadas or, if you can’t find them, just heat a few corn tortillas in the oven until they’re nice and crisp. The fresh ingredients go on top – I used kale, cilantro, and purple cabbage. You can use whatever you have in your fridge. Finally, another crispy corn tortilla gets placed on top to hold everything in. Then fold, fold, fold!
All that’s left to do is heat that bad boy on the stovetop for five minutes on each side, just to get it nice and toasty. Then, slice and serve. While this Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme is loaded with flavor on its own, I like having a bowl of salsa and guacamole nearby for dunking. I can totally see myself making this recipe on New Year’s Day when I want something flavorful and comforting but don’t want to hit the drive-thru.
Speaking of which, I hope you have a fabulous holiday and a Happy New Year! I have so many exciting things in the pipeline for 2020 and I can’t wait to share them with you. Thanks for following along!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe
- 4 corn tortillas
- 6 ounces soy chorizo
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 2 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- 2 small handfuls of greens (I used kale)
- 1 handful purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small handful cilantro
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. Arrange the corn tortillas on a large baking sheet side by side. When the oven is hot, put the corn tortillas in for 5 minutes, then flip and bake 5 minutes on the other side. You want the corn tortillas super crispy!
- Cook the soy chorizo in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until heated through and browned. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes more. Set aside
- Set one of the flour tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread a couple of tablespoons of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread in the center of the tortilla in a circle about the size of a corn tortilla. Spread the vegan sour cream on top of the cheeze spread.
- Add half of the soy chorizo/onion mixture to the flour tortilla, layering on top of the cheeze spread and vegan sour cream. Sprinkle on some tomato chunks.
- Place one of the crispy corn tortillas on top of the filling and gently press down. Layer the greens, cabbage, and cilantro on top of the corn tortilla and place the remaining crispy tortilla on top. Spread a bit more Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread on top of the corn tortilla (this will help hold the vegan crunchwrap supreme together).
- Working in a circle, begin folding the flour tortilla over the corn tortilla. It’s okay if the edges don’t meet in the middle – the corn tortilla will hold the filling in. Flip the vegan crunchwrap supreme over and repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second one.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle in a teaspoon of olive oil and place the vegan crunchwrap supreme in the skillet with the folded side down. Cook for 5 minutes, then carefully flip to cook the top of the crunchwrap for another 5 minutes. When done, it should be golden brown and slightly crispy on both sides. Repeat with the second crunchwrap.
- Finally, slice each crunchwrap in half and serve warm with your favorite toppings!