There comes a time every December when I just need a break from all of the holiday flavors. Don’t get me wrong, I love cinnamon, apples, and cranberries (especially in my Jalapeño Cranberry Dip), but I can’t eat them non-stop. Whenever I need to refresh my palate, I go for Mexican food. It’s savory, spicy, and extremely vegan-friendly. These Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are perfect finger foods for an appetizer table or to pack in a lunchbox!
I will be the first to admit that these Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are not the most photogenic appetizer I’ve ever made. Which is actually pretty funny because this is one of the easiest and most delicious recipes I’ve ever come up with! They remind me of something you might order at a taco truck – in the best possible way. It all starts with spreading a thick layer of our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread over a soft flour tortilla. It’s unbelievably creamy and flavorful – not too spicy.
Then, it’s all about the toppings. I mixed a can of refried beans together with some salsa, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Then I spread that over the tortilla and topped it all off with chopped green onion, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Use more or less of each ingredient depending on your preferences. Love spicy food? Try adding chopped jalapeño! Black olives, shredded romaine lettuce, and diced tomatoes would also work well here.
When it comes time to roll, make sure you do so tightly and squeeze the tortilla along the way. A tight roll will yield pinwheels that stick together and don’t fall apart. Finally, place the wrap seam-side down and slice into 1-inch pieces. You’ll want to use a gentle sawing motion with serrated knife so you don’t accidentally flatten the pinwheels when cutting. This technique takes some practice to master, but don’t worry about making each piece look perfect. I had a very satisfying lunch snacking on the ends and ugly segments!
These Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are SO satisfying. Plus, they’re portable and keep well in the refrigerator for those of us who love to plan lunches ahead!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Vegan Mexican Pinwheels Recipe
Makes about 16 pinwheels
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 burrito-sized tortillas
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- Combine the refried beans, salsa, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and salt in a bowl. Mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Spread one half of the package of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread across one of the tortillas. Add a scoop (about ¼ cup) of the refried bean mixture to the middle of the tortilla and use a spoon to spread it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle half of the cilantro, green onion, and red bell pepper over the surface of the tortilla, leaving the top inch bare.
- Starting from the side closest to you, begin tightly rolling up the tortilla into a big cigar shape. Place it seam side down on your cutting board and use a serrated knife to slice into 1-inch pieces.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla and ingredients (you won’t use all of the refried bean mixture – save it for taco night!). Arrange the Vegan Mexican Pinwheels on a serving platter and top with more fresh cilantro. Enjoy immediately or cover and refrigerate up to two days.