The post-Halloween/pre-Thanksgiving lull has arrived and I am here for it! It’s that time of year when I love getting cozy in my comfiest sweater, putting down my phone, and reconnecting with myself (#selfcare) and my family. There are a few precious weeks before the holiday craziness begins and I’m soaking up every last minute of it.
While this is a season for slowing down, things are getting really busy and super exciting at Plant Perks HQ, and something’s gotta give. In my world, that means spending less time and energy on making dinner. Luckily, it’s slow cooker season! I love my crock pot because it’s a totally hands-off way to whip up an amazing meal. I’m kicking things off with this slow cooker potato soup. It’s creamy, dreamy, and everything I’m craving this season.
This slow cooker potato soup is a souped up (no pun intended!) version of cream of potato soup you’d buy in a can. My recipe is completely dairy-free, yet every bit as thick and creamy as the traditional stuff. In fact, I think it’s a hundred times better! The trick, aside from adding a full container of our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread to the mix, is blending half the soup and returning it to the pot. It’s a super simple hack that requires zero extra ingredients and minimal extra effort.
The toppings are totally up to you. I added a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, finely chopped green onion, and grated carrot to my bowl. If you have any day-old cornbread sitting around, I think that would make a fabulous seasonal topping. If you make this slow cooker potato soup, be sure to tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and diced into ½-inch chunks
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 container Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- Bread crumbs, for topping
- Green onion, finely chopped, for topping
- Carrot, shredded, for serving
- Combine the potato, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and paprika in a slow cooker. Pour the vegetable broth over the ingredients and stir to combine. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on low or 7 to 8 hours on high. I cooked for 5 hours using the “slow cooker” function on my Instant Pot.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and flour in a mason jar and shake to combine. Pour the contents of the jar into the slow cooker and add the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread. Stir to incorporate the creamy ingredients into the soup. Cover and continue to cook at low heat for 30 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to smash some of the potatoes, or carefully transfer half of the soup to a blender and blend. This will make the slow cooker potato soup thicker and creamier. If you blended the soup, transfer it back to the slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with bread crumbs, chopped green onion, and shredded carrot.