What’s warm and gooey and perfect for dipping all of your favorite breads, fruits, and veggies? Cheese Fondue! The sharable appetizer is traditionally made with a trio of melty cheeses, white wine, garlic, and a few other ingredients. A fondue pot sits over a flame, which keeps the cheese warm for dipping. My friend inherited a super cool, retro fondue set from her grandparents which got me thinking, “would fondue be just as delicious without cheese?” Of course, I had to find out. I made stretchy, gooey vegan fondue using our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread, made from cashews, and I have a feeling it’s going to be a huge hit at my holiday parties this season.
Easiest Way to Make Melty, Stretchy Vegan Fondue
Part of what makes traditional cheese fondue so appealing is the melty factor. When you spear a piece of broccoli and dip it in a fondue pot, you want that elusive cheese pull. While our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread is creamy and delicious, I knew I needed to add a little something to the mix to achieve that gooey factor. When heated, tapioca starch lends the perfect amount of stretch to our vegan smoked gouda fondue without affecting the taste. A bit of garlic, white wine, lemon juice, and salt is really all you need to add to achieve a cheesy flavor and texture. The rest is up to you!
Vegan Fondue Dippers
My favorite vegan cheese fondue dippers are hunks of sourdough bread and granny smith apple. Baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and grapes also pair really nicely with vegan smoked gouda fondue. While I obviously love vegan fondue for the taste, I also like that it gives me a reason to sit around a table with my friends and family and bond over great food. A fondue party is a fantastic excuse to enact a “no phones” rule and enjoy some quality time with your favorite people this season!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe and what you thought of it!
Easy Vegan Cheese Fondue Recipe
Smoked Gouda Flavor
- 2 packages Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine (or vegetable broth)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons water
For dipping: bread, apples, baby carrots, grapes, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
- Fill a saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a rapid simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, place a bowl in the pot (it shouldn’t touch the water) and add the Smoked Gouda Cream Cheeze, garlic, lemon juice, and wine or broth.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tapioca starch and water together to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the Smoked Gouda Cream Cheeze mixture. Stir continuously until it thickens and becomes gooey. Remove from heat and transfer to a fondue pot.
- Move the fondue pot to your table with a tealight or sterno flame below to keep the cheeze warm and gooey. If you don’t have a fondue pot, you can just use a ramekin. Serve with cubed bread, sliced apple, baby carrots, grapes, cauliflower, broccoli, and other dippers of your choice.