I was checking out at the grocery store earlier this week and the cashier asked me if I had anything fun planned for the day. After telling her I was going to experiment with a new recipe, she asked what my favorite thing to cook was. This is always a tricky question for me to answer because I love cooking SO MANY different things. Aside from cashew cheeze (duh) it’s a toss-up between soup/stew/chili and pasta. Luckily, I got to make both this week (if you haven’t already, check out my recipe for Smoky Veggie Pumpkin Chili). Though, I implore you not to leave this page just yet. I’ve got another amazing recipe for you to try that features some of my favorite vegetables and autumn seasonings: Cheesy Weeknight Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe.
What qualifies a pasta dish as “weeknight” versus “weekend?
Good question! This vegan butternut squash pasta recipe uses one sheet pan and one pot and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Most of us have a bit more time to linger in the kitchen on weekends, so it really comes down to prep and cook time.
This Cheesy Vegan Pasta Recipe is totally customizable depending on what you have in your kitchen. I used butternut squash (hence the title of the recipe) and mushrooms but lots of other veggies would work. Think carrots, acorn squash, broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts. You’ll want to aim for about 4 to 5 cups of vegetables total. Toss with some olive oil, garlic, and aromatic spices and you’re halfway there!
I used a small shape pasta for this recipe but you could use any size your heart desires. After draining, return the pasta to the pot, toss in the kale, and cover with a lid. The steam from the hot pasta will soften the kale and make it a lot more enjoyable to eat. The sauce recipe for this Butternut Squash Pasta is super easy– simply scoop a whole container of our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread into the pot and stir. It’s like magic – instant creamy pasta sauce!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Cheesy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, stems removed, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 8 oz. orecchiette pasta (or your favorite shape pasta)
- ½ bunch curly kale leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 container Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Place the cubed butternut squash and mushrooms on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through, until the squash is fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and return the noodles to the pot. Add the kale and cover the pot to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, until the kale is bright green and soft.
- Stir the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread into the pasta/kale mixture. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and fold in the roasted veggies.
- Divide the veggie pasta between four bowls or plates and season with more salt and black pepper to taste.