Have I told you how much I adore French fries? It’s true. Crispy potatoes are my jam. Unfortunately, it can be tricky to order fries at restaurants because they’re usually cooked in animal fat. My favorite way to consume fries is by making them myself. That way, I know exactly how they’re prepared. Plus, I can go all out with the toppings. Gimme all the ketchup, vegan cheese, and chopped veggies! This Loaded Vegan Cheese Fries Recipe will leave you feeling satisfied, not guilty!
Healthier Option: Substitute potato fries for the parsnip fries found in this recipe of mine: Baked Parsnip Fries with Smoky Vegan Queso
I love making homemade fries in the oven. It feels so much healthier than frying them in oil and you can still achieve that elusive crunch factor. My secrets to crispy oven fries are as follows:
- Don’t crowd the pan. When you put too many fries on a baking sheet they steam instead of crisp. Give those taters room to breathe!
- Make sure your potatoes are super dry before tossing them in oil. Any lingering moisture will also contribute to a steaming effect.
- Use just enough oil to lightly coat the potatoes. Too little oil and you won’t get any crisp. Use too much and your fries will be soggy.
- Bake at a high temperature. We’re talking 425F to 450F degrees.
There you have it – perfect crispy oven homemade fries.
I topped off these gorgeous vegan fries with plenty of vegan cheese sauce, which I made with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread. Blend it up with some fresh jalapeño, non-dairy milk, and a pinch of salt. Voila! A perfect cheese sauce prime for drizzling and dipping.
Just add your favorite toppings and you’ve got a tasty movie snack or a side for vegan burgers (have you tried Beyond Burgers or my Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe? I’m obsessed with both!) Let me know if you make this Loaded Vegan Cheese Fries Recipe by tagging me on Instagram– can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Loaded Vegan Cheese Fries Recipe
For the fries:
- 2½ pounds russet potatoes
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the vegan cheeze sauce:
- 2 containers of Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, seeded
- ½ cup almond milk (regular, unsweetened)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Soy chorizo
- Hot sauce
- Crispy onions
- Fresh jalapeño
- Green onion
- Black or pinto beans
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Slice the potatoes into half-inch wedges and add them to the boiling water. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes, until just fork tender (but not falling apart). Drain and leave the potatoes in the strainer to cool. Then pat the potatoes dry with a clean towel.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spill the potatoes onto a large baking sheet (or divide between two baking sheets) and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper and toss to coat. Bake the potato wedges for 30 minutes, until tender and crispy, flipping once halfway through. Allow the fries to cool on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan cheeze sauce. Combine the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, jalapeño, almond milk, and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container as needed. The consistency should be pourable, yet thick. Transfer the cheeze sauce to a small saucepan and warm over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent it from burning and sticking to the pan.
- To serve, arrange the fries on a large platter. Drizzle with the vegan cheeze sauce and top with your favorite toppings.