Hello, I have a confession: I absolutely adore creamy, savory dip. I’m more of a veggie girl than a chip girl but if there’s a bowl of cashew cheeze dip in front of me, I’ll devour it with whatever vessel is within arm’s reach. This dip here is bursting with flavor between sweet and savory caramelized onions and two (two!) different types of smoky vegan cheeze spread. I think you guys are going to love this one. Here’s how to make my Smoky Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip.
Have you ever caramelized onions? It sounds fancy but it’s so simple. The first step is slicing your onion super thin. If you have a steady hand you can use a sharp knife, but I find that using a mandolin is the easiest method. Cook the onion over a medium flame for a minimum of 20 minutes; I let mine cook closer to 30. You want a really deep caramelized color and moist texture. Then, transfer those onions to a cutting board and chop them up.
Honestly, all that’s left to do is mix up the remaining ingredients in a bowl. So easy! I used a package of our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread AND a package of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread. I love this dynamic duo! A few extra seasonings give this Smoky Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip such fabulous flavor.
You’ll want to eat this dip right away, but resist the temptation. Cover it and set it in the fridge to chill for a few hours before enjoying. This really gives the flavors a chance to meld and intensify. It’s worth the wait!
Smoky Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
Vegan Chickpea Salad filled Cucumber Boats Recipe
Vegan Cucumber Dill Cocktail Sandwiches Recipe
Spicy and Sweet Stuffed Mini Peppers
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Fat pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- Potato chips, for dipping
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion to the skillet and season with salt. Cook, stirring every couple of minutes, for 15 minutes. The onions should be soft and golden brown. Add a tablespoon of water to the skillet (sizzle!) and stir to hydrate the onions a bit.
- Cook the onions for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the onions are deeply caramelized. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the caramelized onions to a cutting board and roughly chop into small pieces.
- Combine the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread and Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread in a mixing bowl and stir. Then add the garlic powder, maple syrup, and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the caramelized onions and parsley.
- Cover the Smoky Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip and chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy with your favorite potato chips or sliced veggies.