Happy soup season, y’all! The first day of fall has officially come and gone, which means I’ll be making a lot of soups and stews from here on out. When thinking about what recipes to share with you this month, I realized I hadn’t posted my Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe yet. How is this possible?! Broccoli cheddar soup has such a classic cozy vibe. I gave it a plant-based makeover with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread. Let’s make some, shall we?
This soup recipe starts like many great soup recipes do – by sautéing garlic and onion in olive oil. It’s such a simple step, but the delicious smell really gets me in the cooking zone. Once the garlic and onion are soft, sprinkle in the flour and continue to sauté until the flour is lightly browned. This helps thicken the soup – if you’re gluten-free you can skip this step and the recipe will still come out fabulous!
It’s all smooth sailing from here. Add the vegetable broth, broccoli, carrot, salt, and pepper to the pot and simmer until the veggies are bright and tender. This should only take 15 minutes, max.
As a final step, stir in a package of Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread. It lends a velvety smooth and creamy texture with zero dairy (of course!). Not to mention, the slightly spicy flavor sends the overall taste of this dish over the top.
Last but not least, garnish each bowl of soup with more broccoli and a few twists of black pepper. I think you’re going to love this one! I hope you come back to this recipe again and again as the weather turns chilly.
Broccoli Cheddar Vegan Soup Recipe
• Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (leave out for gluten-free option)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups broccoli, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Several twists of black pepper (plus more for garnish)
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- Warm the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic to the pot and sauté a minute more.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic and stir. Cook until the flour is light golden in color, about a minute.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and add the broccoli, carrot, salt, and black pepper. Turn the heat to low and simmer the soup for 10 to 15 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir the package of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread into the soup. Season with additional salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more black pepper and a few tiny pieces of broccoli.