Mushrooms: yea or nay? I am firmly in the “yea” camp but I understand that mushrooms can be polarizing. I’m not sure if it’s because of their appearance, taste, or texture, but I’m sure each of these elements plays a role depending on who you ask. If you’ve arrived at this recipe, I’ll go ahead and assume you’re also in the “yea!” category. Mushroom lovers, this recipe is for you. Let’s make some Creamy & Savory Mushroom Soup!
The flavor of this Creamy & Savory Mushroom Vegan Soup reminds me a lot of my favorite mushroom and wild rice soup. Minus the rice, that is. This soup is gluten-free and grain-free. It can also be made nightshade-free, if you have a sensitivity, by leaving out the potato. The potato gives this soup a thicker consistency but, thanks to our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread, it’s just as delicious without it!
I roasted the mushrooms to bring out a greater depth of flavor I knew I couldn’t achieve by simply sautéing them. This was the right choice! It may look like you have way too many mushrooms on your baking sheet, but fear not. Mushrooms shrink a lot when they cook down.
Add your roasted mushrooms to a soup pot, where you’ll have already sautéd plenty of garlic, shallot, and fresh thyme.
Pour in the vegetable broth, add the potatoes, and simmer the soup covered for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to really infuse. Blending about half of the soup, along with a package of Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread, will give it the thick and creamy consistency we want with zero need for dairy. It may not look like much here, but just wait until you taste it.
I recommend enjoying your Creamy & Savory Mushroom Soup in your favorite mug with a few chunks of bread for dipping. Talk about a cozy fall meal!! Share your recipe photos with me on Instagram by tagging me @plant_perks!
View More Vegan Recipes
Creamy & Savory Mushroom Vegan Soup Recipe
• Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Recipe
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound of baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Several twists of black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups yellow potato, diced
- 1 package Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Sliced baguette, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sliced mushrooms on the baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and a few twists of black pepper. Roast the mushrooms for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a soup pot over low heat. Add the garlic and shallot and season with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and more black pepper. Sauté the garlic and shallot for 5 minutes.
- Scoop the mushrooms into the soup pot along with any liquid released during the roasting process. Add the fresh thyme to the pot.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, add the potato, and turn up the heat to medium. Once the soup comes to a simmer, cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Ladle about 2 cups of the soup into your blender. Scoop in the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread and blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. Pour the blended soup back into the pot and flavor with additional salt, if desired.
- Serve the soup warm with sliced baguette.