Have you received a CSA box filled with yellow squash and wondered what to do with it? If you haven’t yet, you probably will before summer is over! Summer squash is popping off the vines this time of year so I decided to make a warm, comforting soup with it. Here’s how to make my Creamy Summer Squash Vegan Soup Recipe!
What’s the difference between zucchini and yellow squash? Let’s start with their similarities. Both zucchini and yellow squash are considered summer squash. They also taste similar – mild and slightly sweet (in a vegetable sort of way). Their differences are easy to see. Zucchini are green and yellow squash are, well, yellow. Yellow squash are smaller at the top and larger at the bottom and typically have more seeds than zucchini.
With those fun facts out of the way, let’s make some soup! Like most of my other recipes, it’s really simple. Start by sautéing some onion in olive oil, then add the summer squash and season with salt and pepper.
Keep cooking until the summer squash is super soft and just starting to brown, then add the rest of the seasonings. Pour in just enough broth to loosen any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot (they have so much flavor!) then add the rest of the broth and the potato.
Simmer, blend, and return the soup to the pot. For the grand finale, whisk in a package of Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread. It makes this soup SO velvety and rich! You only need a small serving to feel totally satisfied. Let me know if you make this Creamy Summer Squash Soup by tagging me on Instagram!
Creamy Summer Squash Soup Recipe
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups yellow squash, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Several twists of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- Warm the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the summer squash to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the squash is soft and slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, paprika, maple syrup, and garlic to the pot and sauté for another minute. Pour in a bit of the vegetable broth to loosen any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot and gently scrape with a wood spatula.
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable broth and add the diced potato. Bring to a rapid simmer, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potato is very tender.
- Carefully ladle the soup into a blender and blend until super smooth, about a minute.
- Return the soup to the pot and keep warm over low heat. Whisk in the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread and season with additional salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more freshly cracked black pepper, if desired. Enjoy warm.