Like many of my favorite foods, minestrone soup originated in Italy. Minestrone means “big soup” thanks to the load of vegetables cooked in the pot, layer by layer. While most minestrone soup recipes contain the same basic ingredients – onion, celery, carrot, tomatoes, and beans – there are countless iterations that are influenced by the chef’s creativity, the region, and the season. As the chef of this creamy vegan minestrone soup, I chose to add a big scoop of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread to make the broth thick, flavorful, and decadent. Let’s make it!
Every minestrone begins with cooking aromatic vegetables in fat. In this recipe, we start by heating up olive oil and sautéing yellow onion. Then, layer in fresh garlic, celery, and carrot. Basil, oregano, salt, and pepper make the veggies sing and will fill your kitchen with a heavenly aroma.
Next up, add in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth. At this point you’ll bring the soup to a gentle boil. Add the kidney beans and pasta and simmer for just 10 or 11 minutes. The pasta will continue to sit in the hot soup, so you don’t want to overcook it.
All of the starch released from the pasta makes the broth thick and creamy. Adding in a scoop of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread amplifies the flavors of the soup and makes it even creamier and smooth. I absolutely love how beautifully the cashew cheese melts into this soup!
Made hearty with beans and pasta, this creamy vegan minestrone soup is stick-to-your-ribs filling and makes a fantastic lunch on a chilly winter day.
Creamy Vegan Minestrone Soup Recipe
• Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 small or 2 to 3 medium carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- A few twists of black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup elbow pasta
- ½ package Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrot, and celery to the pot and season with oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook for 3 or 4 minutes more.
- Pour the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth into the pot. Turn up the heat slightly to bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Add the kidney beans and pasta to the pot and return to a boil. Reduce the heat a little bit to maintain a simmer for 10 to 11 minutes, until the pasta is just tender. Turn off the heat and stir in the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread. Adjust seasonings to taste (I added a pinch more salt).
- Ladle the Creamy Vegan Minestrone Soup into bowls and top with fresh basil.