If you know me, you know I love a great salad. I also love whipping up a quick lunch so I can eat on the go, which means I try to meal prep when I can. Of course, life doesn’t usually allow me to prepare a week’s worth of meals on a Sunday. Especially with two kids in tow who want my constant attention! Anyway, I recently had a craving for vegan caesar salad and decided to make my own dressing using our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread. It was so easy and turned out DELICIOUS. I’m super excited to share the recipe with you!
I am honestly obsessed with this easy vegan caesar salad. When I say easy, I mean it. There’s no need to bust out the blender or food processor. The dressing is made with stuff you probably already have in your kitchen and it whisks together in a bowl just beautifully.
The only part that takes a little bit of time is making the stovetop croutons. In my opinion, croutons are essential to a good vegan caesar salad. You can make them using sourdough, whole wheat, or gluten-free bread. Use whatever you’ve got! As you may know, it’s important to use day-old/stale bread for croutons. Mine was still pretty fresh so I diced it up and dried it in a warm oven for about five minutes. Then, I let the pieces get toasty in a skillet for about 15 minutes. Just stir them every so often so the bread chunks get golden on all sides.
I tossed a handful of parsley in with my chopped romaine and found that I loved the extra kick of freshness. If you don’t have parsley, don’t sweat it. Drizzle that creamy dressing all over your salad and toss in the warm croutons. SO GOOD. I can barely handle it. I could have eaten this entire bowl for lunch – and nearly did! What do you think, will you make this easy vegan caesar salad? Post a photo to Instagram and tag me so I can see!
Easy Vegan Caesar Salad Recipe
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
For the dressing
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups stale bread, cubed
- 4 romaine hearts, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- If you don’t have stale bread, preheat your oven to 200F degrees and spill the bread cubes onto a small baking sheet. Dry out the bread in the warm oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Warm a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat and add the minced garlic cloves. Saute the garlic until fragrant and light golden in color. Add the bread cubes and saute in the garlic oil until the bread is lightly toasted on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Ta-da! Homemade croutons.
- Place the chopped romaine and parsley in a large serving bowl and toss with a bit of the vegan caesar salad dressing. Add the croutons and drizzle with more dressing. Enjoy!