As summer approaches we teeter on the edge of it being too warm to turn on the oven unless it’s really important. In my opinion, roasted veggies will always be important! I will gladly heat up my house to an uncomfortable level to be able to add tender, caramelized vegetables to my grain bowls. Depending on where you live, it might have snowed yesterday. Or, it might be hotter than heck. The weather can be unpredictable, but at least you have dinner figured out. You need this Roasted Veggie Vegan Pesto Bowl in your life!
I don’t know about you, but by the end of the week I’m dealing with random vegetables that I need to use before I restock the fridge. A carrot here, a half head of broccoli there, it’s chaos. While I love juicing, some veggies just aren’t suited for drinking. Enter, my favorite Roasted Veggie Vegan Pesto Bowl. It’s a great way to make use of all those fridge scraps you feel too guilty tossing in the trash or compost.
Did you know that the average American wastes 238 pounds of food every year? That comes out to 21 percent of the food we buy. Think of it this way – you walk out of the grocery store with five bags of groceries and leave one of them behind in the parking lot. Every single time you shop. Crazy, right? I try my absolute best to limit food waste in our house and these Roasted Veggie Vegan Pesto Bowls are one of my favorite ways to do just that.
Knowing this, please don’t feel limited by the veggies listed in this recipe! These were simply the vegetables I had laying around waiting to be used. You can use broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, sweet potato, bell peppers, you name it. I would just avoid roasting any watery vegetables because they’ll turn into a soggy mess (looking at you, cucumber). Need a protein boost? Add a can of chickpeas to the baking sheet and roast those, too! Drizzle the finished bowls with The Best Vegan Pesto and you’ve got one delicious meal on your hands.
I’d love to see how you get creative with your fridge scraps! If you make this Roasted Veggie Vegan Pesto Bowl, make sure you post a photo and tag me on Instagram.
View More Vegan Recipes
Roasted Veggie Vegan Pesto Bowl Recipe
Vegan Cacio E Pepe Recipe
Cheezy Garlic Pinto Beans Recipe On Toast
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Vegan Skillet Flatbread Recipe – Arugula, Peas & Crispy Shallots
- ½ cup uncooked farro, couscous or quinoa
- 2 cup baby carrots, sliced lengthwise (or regular carrots cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups purple cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1½ teaspoons garlic from a jar)
- Big pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- ½ cup of The Best Vegan Pesto, for serving
- 2 handfuls of leafy greens
- Fresh sliced veggies, for serving (optional)
- Hemp seeds, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spill the baby carrots, purple cabbage, and potatoes onto the baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast the veggies for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- As the veggies roast, make the pesto and set aside. You can also start cooking your grains at this time.
- When the veggies are done roasting you’re ready to assemble your bowls. Add a handful of leafy greens to each bowl followed by a scoop of cooked grains. Top with roasted veggies, sliced veggies, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of pesto. Enjoy warm.