Are you ready for this? I thought I had tried the best vegan pesto when I sampled the one from Trader Joe’s but I truly think I may have just topped it in my very own kitchen and I am SO EXCITED. It’s everything you could possibly want in a pesto and more. This vegan pesto is super bright – both in color and flavor – and is perfectly balanced between the fresh basil, lemon juice, and salt. Our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread blends beautifully with the other ingredients to create a creamy, vibrant sauce perfect for topping pastas and pizzas and spreading on sandwiches. Introducing, the best vegan pesto recipe!
Pesto is usually made with fresh basil, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. These days, there are so many creative spins on pesto and I love seeing what other chefs come up with. My favorites involve using creative ingredients like carrot tops or beet greens and alternative nuts. Pine nuts are so expensive. They’re totally not necessary! I’ve used shelled sunflower seeds with amazing results. My best vegan pesto recipe uses a package of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread, which is made with blended cashews. No additional nuts required!
This vegan pesto recipe comes together in less than five minutes and keeps in the fridge for several days. Use it on pasta, as a dip for veggies, or spread it on a sandwich or wrap. It’s seriously so versatile! In a blind taste test, I’m willing to bet your friends and family wouldn’t be able to tell this pesto is completely vegan. It’s super flavorful, tangy, and chock full of greens. Basically, it’s the whole package. What do you like to put pesto on? Let me know on Instagram – I’m going to be making this stuff on repeat!
View More Vegan Recipes
The Best Vegan Pesto Recipe
Spinach & Artichoke Vegan Stuffed Shells Recipe
Cheesy Weeknight Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
Creamy Vegan Garlic Noodles Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Makes about 1 cup
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Place the basil, spinach, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, olive oil, and water in a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Scoop the Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread into the food processor and blend again to fully incorporate the ingredients. Add a splash more water if needed to reach a smooth, saucy consistency.
- Pour this vegan pesto over pasta, spread it on a sandwich, or use it as pizza sauce. This vegan pesto will keep in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to six months.