Hey, friends! As I mentioned in my last post I’m super excited that spring has sprung. You’ll be seeing a lot more recipes from me that highlight spring produce and bright colors! Keeping in line with the seasonal theme, I wanted to show you how to dress up an ordinary piece of naan or pita bread with a schmear of Plant Perks and some spring veggies. I used our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread but any flavor would taste amazing here. Introducing my Skillet Flatbread with Arugula, Peas, and Crispy Shallots.
Why “skillet” flatbread? Because this flatbread recipe is so easy breezy that you don’t even need to turn on the oven! You just need to heat up a skillet to toast your flatbread. In other words, if you can turn on your stovetop burner, you can make this recipe. I’m willing to bet that’s most, if not all of you. I used my trusty cast iron skillet but any pan will do just fine.
Before you do that, you’ll need to make a batch of crispy shallots. Again, nothing crazy here. Just slice up your shallots super thin, like the width of a dime, and arrange them in a single layer in a pan. Cover them with oil (I used about three tablespoons) and cook over medium-low heat until they’re golden brown and crispy.
Then, spread your Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread (or your favorite flavor) over the toasted flatbread. Top with arugula, peas, and the crispy shallots. I used a combination of raw sugar snap peas and steamed sweet peas. Use whatever you’ve got! A sprinkle of freshly cracked black pepper really seals the deal on this healthy, seasonal lunch. If you make this skillet flatbread recipe, make sure you take a photo and tag me on Instagram! Seeing your pictures makes my day.
Vegan Skillet Flatbread Recipe
Arugula, Peas & Crispy Shallots
Heirloom Tomato & Summer Squash Vegan Vegetable Tart Recipe
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Vegan Pizza Recipe
Chipotle Sweet Potato Vegan Hot Pockets Recipe
Mushroom and Thyme Vegan Tart Recipe
The Best Vegan Pesto Recipe
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or another neutral oil)
- 2 flatbreads (you can use naan or pita bread or make your own!)
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup sweet peas
- Few twists of cracked black pepper
- Combine the shallots and oil in a small skillet and turn to medium heat. Lightly fry the shallots until deep golden and crispy, but not burnt, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Warm the naan or pita bread in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat until warm and slightly toasted, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread on each piece of flatbread. Pile on the arugula, snap peas, and sweet peas and top with crispy shallots. Add a few twists of cracked black pepper and enjoy warm.