There’s something about the flavor combination of mushroom and thyme that makes me think of Thanksgiving. Maybe it’s the vegan gravy I drizzle on everything my fork touches that time of year? I never get tired of it! My point here is that mushrooms and thyme are not just holiday flavors. They’re for any and all times of year, and this savory, delicious Mushroom & Thyme Vegan Tart recipe is proof!
Wait, isn’t a tart supposed to be sweet? Like dessert? It can be, but a tart can also be savory. Savory tarts kind of remind me of what pizza’s fancier cousin might be like. Mainly, the difference is in the crust. Instead of pizza crust, we’re talking about flaky pie crust or puff pastry. It’s pretty easy to find vegan puff pastry in the frozen section of the grocery store. This Mushroom & Thyme Vegan Tart has a luscious, creamy base, made with our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread, that takes the entire eating experience to a new level.
Just thinking about this recipe is making my mouth water! The bulk of the filling is made with sliced mushrooms, which are sautéed with olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Trust me when I say your kitchen is going to smell AMAZING while these shrooms simmer on the stove. Toss in the fresh thyme at the very end and give everything a good stir.
When spreading your Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread and spooning your mushrooms onto the puff pastry, remember to leave a 1½-inch border all the way around. This will make it easy to lift and fold the puff pastry up and over the filling, kind of like an envelope. I brushed the exposed puff pastry with a little bit of olive oil to help it achieve a golden, flaky crust in the oven. You could also use vegan butter here.
Bake the Mushroom & Thyme Vegan Tart for about 20 to 22 minutes; the exact time will depend on your particular oven. You’re looking for a golden crust. Top with more fresh thyme, slice, and serve! This tart would make an amazing appetizer or first course if you’re hosting friends for dinner. And if you are, please send me an invite!!
Mushroom & Thyme Vegan Tart Recipe
Vegan Wedge Salad Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Heirloom Tomato & Summer Squash Vegan Vegetable Tart Recipe
Vegan Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Pizza Recipe
- 1 vegan puff pastry sheet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- Vegan butter or olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Remove the puff pastry sheet from the freezer and allow it to thaw while you prep the mushroom filling
- Warm a teaspoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook until the mushrooms have reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add the shallot and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes more, until the shallot is soft and the garlic is fragrant. Stir in the fresh thyme and remove from heat.
- Unroll the puff pastry (it should still be cold) and flatten it a bit with a rolling pin. Spread the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread over the surface of the puff pastry, leaving a 1½-inch border all the way around.
- Drain any liquid from the mushroom mixture, then spoon the mushrooms onto the puff pastry in an even layer.
- Pleat and fold the edges of the puff pastry up and over the filling, working your way around, leaving the center exposed. Brush the puff pastry with vegan butter or olive oil.
- Bake the Mushroom & Thyme Vegan Tart for 20-22 minutes, until the puff pastry is light golden and crispy. Garnish with fresh thyme, slice, and serve.