You know that “first sip feeling” with a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning, or with a really good glass of wine? That’s the only way I know how to describe what it’s like taking a bite of this Savory Vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash. The “first bite feeling” is off the charts enjoyable. The different flavors and textures in the filling, combined with the soft roasted acorn squash and creamy Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread is making my mouth water as I type!
This is a perfect vegan dinner recipe for November. The flavors hint at Thanksgiving, yet are different enough to be super satisfying any night of the week. First, you’ll need to roast your acorn squash. One squash is plenty for two people! Just slice it in half from top to bottom, scoop out the seeds, and drizzle the insides with olive oil.
While the acorn squash roasts, make the filling. Onion, garlic, lentils, dried cranberries, and celery get sauteéd in olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add in some shredded kale and chopped apple at the very end.
Once the acorn squash is tender, spread a heaping spoonful of our Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread in each cavity. Pile the filling on top and return to the oven for another 5 minutes or so. The Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread provides an extra boost of flavor to this already savory main course.
I’m telling you – the first bite of this Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash is amazing! And the second, and third, and fourth… you get the idea. I recommend serving with a little extra Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread on the side to keep the good times rolling.
View More Vegan Recipes
Savory Vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
• Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 1 acorn squash
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup apple, diced
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- ¼ cup Plant Perks Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Cut the acorn squash in half from top to bottom and scoop out the seeds. Slice a little bit off the bottom of each squash half so they can sit flat in a baking dish.
- Brush the insides of the squash halves with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Roast the acorn squash for 40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Warm the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils to the skillet along with the dried cranberries and celery. Season the filling with a pinch of salt, a few twists of black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon dried thyme.
- Sauté the filling, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the diced apple and kale.
- Remove the roasted acorn squash from the oven. Spread two tablespoons of Garlic & Herb Cheeze Spread inside each acorn squash half, then pile in the filling (it’s okay if some spills into the baking dish). Return the roasted acorn squash to the oven for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash from the oven, carefully transfer the halves to two plates, and enjoy warm.