A sure sign that fall has arrived: I prefer my sandwiches toasted again. For me, summer just doesn’t call for warm and gooey vegan grilled cheese. Fall, on the other hand, is the perfect time to bust out the panini grill and make vegan grilled cheese with our plant-based cheeze spreads. This week, I transitioned to full-on autumn mode with a vegan grilled cheese topped with sliced apple and fresh sage. Oh my goodness, this one is a keeper. Let’s make this Smoked Provolone and Apple Vegan Grilled Cheese Recipe!
There’s really not a whole lot to this recipe, but I think that’s what makes it so irresistibly delicious. The flavor of each ingredient is really allowed to shine through. Especially the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread! There’s something about this flavor in particular that lends itself to a warm sandwich. It’s buttery, smoky, and slightly sweet – a perfect pairing for crisp fall apple.
Butter your bread, then flip the slices over and top two with all of the ingredients. I started with a generous schmear of Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread, then added thinly sliced red onion, sliced apple, sage, and cracked black pepper. That’s it! This combination is dynamite.
Use your favorite pan or skillet or panini press to toast your vegan grilled cheese sandwiches to golden perfection. My cast iron skillet ended up getting very hot, so my sandwiches only needed 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Peek at yours every 30 seconds or so to prevent burning, unless you like a very well-done vegan grilled cheese.
These Smoked Provolone and Apple Vegan Grilled Cheese sandwiches come together super quickly, making them perfect for feeding hungry kids – or adults. Make sure you let me know if you make this recipe by tagging me on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Smoked Provolone and Apple Vegan Grilled Cheese Recipe
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 fresh sage leaves
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Spread all four slices of bread with vegan butter. Flip two of the bread slices over and spread with a generous schmear of Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread.
- Place a few slices of red onion on top of the cheeze spread, followed by sliced apple and fresh sage. Sprinkle a few twists of freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- Set the remaining bread slices vegan butter side up on top of the sandwich fillings. Preheat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Carefully place the assembled sandwiches in the hot skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the bread is toasted and golden.
- Transfer the Smoked Provolone and Apple Vegan Grilled Cheese sandwiches to a cutting board and slice in half. Enjoy warm.