Let’s talk about faux meats. It seems like many vegans either love them or are totally against them. I’m somewhere in the middle! I think faux meat products can be a great way for new vegans to make the transition to eating plant-based. While I typically eat grain-free, I sometimes make an exception for tempeh. Tempeh puts the “B” in this recipe for my Ultimate Vegan BLT!
Tempeh is a minimally processed fermented soy product that is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. It also has prebiotics that can improve your digestive health and reduce inflammation. Tempeh comes in an 8-ounce loaf that can be sliced or crumbled. Here, I sliced it thinly and let it soak in a yummy marinade to make vegan tempeh bacon.
This tempeh bacon is so incredibly delicious and super simple to make! After marinating, I simply pan fried it for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned. Done!
Instead of mayo, which is on a traditional BLT, I used a big scoop of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread.(Ps. I used to use Provolone but we’ve since discontinued it.) The sweet and smoky flavor of the cashew cheeze pairs so perfectly with the tempeh bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
Toast your bread, assemble your sandwich, and enjoy! This Ultimate Vegan BLT is a great meal prep recipe. Make a batch of vegan tempeh bacon at the beginning of the week and enjoy delicious sandwiches for days. Connect with me on Instagram and let me know what you think of this recipe!
Ultimate Vegan BLT Recipe
• Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Recipe
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 1 8-oz package of tempeh
- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 8 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and olive oil in a large baking dish. Whisk to combine and adjust the flavors to taste (I added a few more shakes of liquid smoke).
- Slice the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces and arrange them in a single layer in the baking dish. Tilt the dish back and forth to coat the tempeh in the marinade.
- Place the baking dish in the fridge for an hour, flipping the tempeh pieces over halfway through.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil in a non-stick skillet and warm over medium heat. Use a slotted spatula to scoop the marinated tempeh out of the dish. Shake off excess marinade and place the tempeh in the hot oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned in spots. Transfer the tempeh bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Toast the sandwich bread and spread a generous spoonful of Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread on the surface of each slice.
- Divide the lettuce between four slices of bread and top with tomato slices. Season the tomato with salt and pepper. Place a few pieces of tempeh bacon on each sandwich and top with the remaining bread slices. Cut the Ultimate Vegan BLTs in half and serve.