Can I get a heck yeah for bagels? I feel my best with limited grains in my diet but I will make the occasional exception for a bagel. But it’d better be an amazing one! There are a number of bagel bomb recipes floating around on the Internet and I knew I could make the concept work with our vegan cashew cheese. These. Are. Amazing. It’s basically a bagel with cream cheese all rolled into a ball that can fit in the palm of your hand. These Vegan Everything Bagel Bombs are perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast or for stuffing in a basket and bringing to a brunch party.
I used our homemade vegan bagel recipe as a template for these Vegan Everything Bagel Bombs. They turned out even better than I expected! You’ll start the same way you would if you were making normal bagels, by mixing up the dough and letting it rise for an hour in a warm, dark spot.
Meanwhile, use a tablespoon to scoop balls of your favorite vegan cashew cheese onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Stick the baking sheet in the freezer and let the cashew cheeze solidify. Now would be a good time to refill your coffee or juice – you’ve got time to relax while the dough gets nice and fluffy.
Split the dough into 10 even sections. If you have a food scale, this is really simple. If not, you can just eyeball it. Press a frozen chunk of vegan cashew cheese into the center of each dough section and roll it around between your palms. I found this part so satisfying for some reason!
All that’s left to do is boil (this step makes the bagel bombs chewy – don’t skip it!), sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, and bake. I used pre-made everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have any, it’s easy to make your own. Gimme Some Oven has a great recipe!
These Vegan Everything Bagel Bombs are slightly crispy on the outside and tender and chewy inside. So incredibly delicious! I’ve been pulling these out of the fridge all week for a quick snack. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Vegan Everything Bagel Bombs Recipe
Homemade Vegan Bagel Recipe
Vegan Pull Apart Bread Recipe
Vegan Monkey Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- ½ tablespoon instant yeast (1 packet)
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups warm water
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil (plus more for brushing)
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread (or your favorite flavor)
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, sweetener, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the middle of the ingredients and slowly pour in the water. Mix by hand until a loose ball of dough comes together. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes, until no longer sticky.
- Wipe out the mixing bowl and spread a half teaspoon of coconut oil all over the bottom and sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl and cover with a damp towel. Place the bowl in a warm, dark place for an hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop tablespoons of the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread and place them on the baking sheet. Freeze while you wait for the dough to rise.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and let it rest for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325F degrees and place a large pot of water on the stove. Sprinkle the baking soda into the water and bring to a boil while you prep the bagel bombs.
- Divide the dough into 10 even pieces. Press one of the frozen chunks of Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread into one of the dough pieces and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining dough and cashew cheese.
- Carefully drop the bagel bombs into the boiling water and boil for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the boiled bagel bombs back to the baking sheet and brush with coconut oil. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and bake for 22 to 25 minutes. When done, the bagel bombs should be light golden brown.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and cool on the baking sheet. Enjoy immediately or store in a resealable freezer bag in the freezer for up to six months.