Hallelujah for pizza, am I right? It’s the ultimate comfort food, celebratory food, Netflix and chill food, and I-don’t-know-what-to-feed-my-family-tonight food. In my opinion, pizza is perfect for any and all occasions. There are many vegan pizzas out there that blow me away and sometimes it’s fun to experiment with funky toppings. Though, nothing compares to the simplicity of a Margherita pizza. Traditionally, Margherita pizza is topped with red sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil. For this Vegan Margherita Pizza Recipe, I subbed in our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread and oh my gosh, I can’t wait for you to try it!
Do you know why Margherita pizza is called Margherita pizza? In 1889, the name was coined by the most famous pizza maker in Naples, Raffaele Esposito. He made a pizza of tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, which was supposed to represent the colors of the Italian flag, for Queen Margherita. The name stuck and now we have an incredible vegan version of Margherita pizza that I’d eat every day if there were zero consequences. It’s THAT good. I’d like to think Queen Margherita would love it, too.
You can use your favorite vegan pizza dough or ready-made crust in this recipe. If you use dough, bake it prior to topping it with your homemade pizza sauce and Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread because these pizzas are only going in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes max.
Speaking of homemade pizza sauce, this stuff is amazing. And you can make it entirely with pantry ingredients, which is super convenient if you can’t make it to a store. Use organic canned tomatoes if you can!
Add a few dollops of Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread to the top of each vegan pizza and pop in the oven for no longer than 10 minutes. You just want the crust, sauce, and cheeze to be heated through. Be sure to top with fresh basil after you’re done cooking, otherwise it’ll shrivel up and turn black in the oven. On that gorgeous note, I’ll leave you with the recipe. I hope you enjoy!
Ps. Tag me know on Instagram if you make this recipe or leave me a comment on our profile!
Vegan Margherita Pizza Recipe
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Vegan Pizza Recipe
Vegan BBQ Cauliflower Wings with Ranch Recipe
Ultimate Vegan Nachos Recipe
- 2 small or 1 large vegan pizza crust or flatbread
- ¼ cup pizza sauce (recipe follows)
- ½ package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, for brushing
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Vegan parmesan, for topping
For the sauce:
- 1 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon agave
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Big pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce into a resealable container and set aside. You won’t use all of the sauce, so save the leftovers for another day.
- Place your pizza crusts on the prepared baking sheet. Add a few tablespoons of sauce to each crust and spread into an even layer, leaving a little border all the way around.
- Dollop a few tablespoons of Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread on top of each pizza and brush the exposed crust with olive oil. Pop the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the crust is light golden in color and the sauce and cheeze are heated through.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and top with fresh basil and vegan parmesan. Slice into pieces and enjoy warm.