“It’s pizza night!” I lived for these words when I was a kid. Pizza night meant my parents’ rules were more relaxed with no need to set the table or wash any dishes. As an adult, I still love the laid back feel of serving pizza for dinner. Now that I’m a mom, though, pizza night in my house means everything is made from scratch. I usually make pizza with gluten-free crust, tons of veggies, and – of course – creamy cashew cheese. This Vegan White Pizza Recipe with Mushrooms, Artichokes and Herbs is one of my favorite combinations for busy weeknights and easy breezy weekends.
This pizza is a vegan white pizza, which means it has no tomato sauce. I whipped up an easy vegan white pizza sauce using our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread and a few ingredients I already had laying around, including shallots and fresh thyme. So easy and delicious!
I will say, though, just as I was about to put this pizza in the oven, I realized I couldn’t eat a pizza without tomatoes. I’m so glad I added some beautiful organic cherry tomatoes at the last minute. The acidity really balanced out the flavor of the entire pizza. How about you – are you someone who requires tomatoes or tomato sauce on their pizza? I think I’m officially in the pro-tomato camp!
You can add whatever fresh herbs you’d like to your finished pizza. Basil would be so summery and delicious! I used more fresh thyme and some rosemary from my garden. Chives would work great as well! Fresh herbs are one of my favorite things about summer cooking. I think this Vegan White Pizza with Mushrooms, Artichokes and Herbs is going to be making a weekly appearance in this house!
Vegan White Pizza Recipe
with Mushrooms, Artichokes and Herbs
Skillet Flatbread Recipe with Arugula, Peas, and Crispy Shallots
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Vegan Pizza Recipe
Vegan BBQ Cauliflower Wings with Ranch Recipe
Vegan Margherita Pizza Recipe
- 1 16-oz. bag of pizza dough
- 1 batch of white pizza sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can artichoke hearts, well-drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Fresh thyme and rosemary, for serving
- Red pepper flakes, for serving (optional)
For the white pizza sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- ¼ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven according to your pizza crust directions. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or preheat your pizza stone.
- To make the white pizza sauce, warm a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the fresh thyme and cook 30 seconds more.
- Scoop the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread into the skillet and add ¼ cup of water. Whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the sauce is thickened and creamy. Add a splash more water as needed. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf, and scoop the white sauce into a bowl.
- Carefully wipe the skillet clean and warm another teaspoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Then add the mushrooms and sauté until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Work your pizza dough into a circle and place it on the baking sheet or pizza stone. Spread the white sauce over the surface, leaving a ½-inch border all the way around. Top with artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and a few organic cherry tomatoes, if desired.
- Brush the exposed crust with olive oil and bake the pizza according to the crust directions, until lightly golden and crisp around the edges.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs and red pepper flakes. Slice and enjoy!