There are so many amazing things about being a mom. It’s such an eye opening experience to be on the other side of the parent-kid relationship and go through some of the joys and challenges my own mom and dad experienced raising me. At some point, every parent has to convince his or her kids to eat something they don’t want to eat. Pouring cheese over vegetables has to be one of the oldest tricks in the book! If you’re raising vegan kids, this recipe for the Best Vegan Cheesy Broccoli is going to be a game changer.
To be honest, I kinda get why broccoli has a bad rap. It’s green (scary!), stinky, and has a funky texture. Plus, raw broccoli can yield some pretty intense bloating and discomfort. My favorite way to eat broccoli is lightly steamed and drizzled with a simple vegan cheese sauce made with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread.
I could eat this stuff with a spoon – and I nearly did! What looks like nacho cheese is actually a winning combination of carrot, vegetable broth, Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. All you have to do is simmer the carrots in broth until they’re tender, then blend them up with the remaining ingredients. Pour over steamed broccoli and you’ve got a kid-approved side dish that offers not one, but two veggies! How sneaky.
Of course, the Best Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Recipe isn’t just for kids. I demolished a substantial portion after photographing this recipe. This side would pair beautifully with just about any main course you can dream up. I hope your family loves it as much as mine does!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
The Best Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Recipe
- ½ cup carrot, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 container Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 2 small heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1½ cups water
- Combine the chopped carrot and vegetable broth in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the carrot is fork tender.
- Pour the carrots and vegetable broth into a high speed blender. Scoop the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread into the blender and add the nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- To steam the broccoli, combine the broccoli with the water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 5 minutes. When done, the broccoli should be bright green and tender. Drain the broccoli.
- Divide the broccoli between four plates and drizzle with vegan cheese sauce. Enjoy warm.