Cheesy vegan potatoes for the win! If you’re on the hunt for a family-pleasing holiday side dish, look no further than these Cheesy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin. I’m not exaggerating when I say this is one of the most delicious creations I’ve made with our plant-based cheeze spreads. Normally I’d make something spicy with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, given this particular flavor has a bit of a kick to it. However, these cheesy vegan potatoes aren’t spicy at all, making them perfect for kiddos and adults who are sensitive to heat.
It may have a fancy name, but these Cheesy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin couldn’t be easier to make. The trickiest part is slicing the potatoes super thin. A mandolin is extraordinarily helpful, but I managed just fine with a sharp knife.
To make the cheeze sauce, scoop a container of Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread into your blender and add some non-dairy milk, carrot (for that beautiful orange color and extra nutrients!), and some seasonings to bump up the flavor.
If you taste the sauce at this point, it will be REALLY salty. Don’t worry! The potatoes will absorb most of the salt and the entire dish will taste completely balanced.
Bake the cheesy vegan potatoes covered for about an hour, until the potatoes are tender. Then top with breadcrumbs (I used panko) and bake for another 10 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are lightly golden. For gluten-free, you can just omit the breadcrumbs. Top with chives if desired and serve!
This is such a delicious vegan holiday dish to share with your closest friends and family this season. I hope everyone at your table loves it as much as we do!
View More Vegan Recipes
Cheesy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
• Creamy Vegan Garlic & Herb Mashed Potatoes Recipe
• Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes Recipe
• Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
• Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
• Vegan Mashed Potato Chip Dip Recipe
- 2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (gluten-free if required)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Fresh chives, finely chopped, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees and mist a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the potatoes super thin, about ⅛ inch thick. Layer the potato slices in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, non-dairy milk, carrot, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. It will taste really salty at this point – don’t worry!
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and melt the vegan butter. Add in the flour and whisk until it’s absorbed by the vegan butter.
- Pour the contents of the blender into the skillet and whisk to blend the vegan butter and flour into the sauce. Remove from heat and pour the sauce into a large measuring cup or pitcher for easier control.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the potatoes, making sure to get in the crevices. Reserve about ¼ cup of the sauce and set aside.
- Cover the Cheesy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin with aluminum foil and place it on the middle rack in your oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over top of the potatoes. Return the baking dish to the oven, uncovered, and bake for 10 minutes more, until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Top the Cheesy Vegan Potatoes au Gratin with chopped chives and serve warm.