I know you guys have heard of mashed potatoes (hello, best part of Thanksgiving!) but what about smashed potatoes? These are a thing, and I might love them even more. That’s because you get the best of both worlds. A creamy inside and a crispy outside flecked with garlic and herbs. Best of all, with smashed potatoes, the potatoes remain whole which makes them perfect for drizzling or dipping in creamy cashew cheeze sauce. I am very proud to present my Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes Recipe with Spring Herbs!
I love making crispy vegan smashed potatoes because they’re way more hands-off than making mashed potatoes. Basically, there are two steps: boiling and baking. First you’ll boil the potatoes to get them nice and tender. You should be able to easily pierce each potato with a fork. Then you’ll transfer them to a baking sheet and smash them with a heavy glass (I used a jar of coconut oil).
Give those smashed potatoes a light drizzle of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic. The key to achieving that elusive crispy exterior is to not drench the potatoes in oil. A light coating is all you need! Depending on your particular oven, roast the smashed potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes. Keep a close eye on them in the last few minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
While the potatoes get crispy, make a quick drizzling/dipping sauce with our Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread. There’s really not much to it! I just scooped a package of Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread into a bowl and added a couple of tablespoons of vegetable broth. A pinch of salt really brings out the dill pickle flavor!
Wait to add the chopped herbs until after the potatoes have finished roasting for the best flavor. I used a combination of fresh dill and chives but feel free to garnish your crispy smashed potatoes with whatever herbs you can forage in your garden or neighborhood! You can serve the potatoes with a side of cheeze sauce or drizzle it over top. Either way, I think your family is going to LOVE this spring recipe.
Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes Recipe
with Spring Herbs
Easy Vegan Garlic & Herb Potato Salad Recipe
Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Skins Recipe
Loaded Vegan Cheese Fries Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Big pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 package Plant Perks Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- ¼ cup spring herbs, chopped (I used fresh dill and chives)
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the potatoes in the boiling water and return to a boil. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. Drain the potatoes and set them aside to cool slightly.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Use a potato masher or a heavy drinking glass to smash each potato. Drizzle the smashed potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with the minced garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Roast the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, whisk the Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread with the vegetable broth until you achieve a drizzly, creamy mixture. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Remove the crispy smashed potatoes from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve with the cashew cheeze sauce. Enjoy warm!