Let’s make some fondue! Vegan fondue, that is. Cheese totally isn’t necessary to make warm, creamy fondue perfect for a chilly fall day. Aside from a package of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread, the key to delicious vegan fondue is roasted pumpkin. It adds beautiful color, creamy texture, yummy flavor, and plenty of nutrients. Bonus: the pumpkin makes an adorable and Instagram-worthy serving bowl. I’ll fill you in on how to make it below!
First, you’ll need to cut off the top of your pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Just as if you were going to carve the pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern. I feel like people either really like or really do not like scooping the guts out of a pumpkin. Which camp are you in?? This task can be delegated to a kid if you’re in the latter! Rub the inside of the pumpkin with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast until tender, about an hour. This may take more or less time depending on the size of your pumpkin.
Meanwhile, get the rest of the fondue ingredients ready. Sauté some shallot and garlic in olive oil, then transfer it to your blender with a package of our Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread and some veggie broth. When the pumpkin has cooled a bit, use a spoon to scrape the flesh from the inside and add it to your blender. A splash of lemon juice provides a bit of brightness and tang to this vegan pumpkin fondue.
Finally, pour the vegan pumpkin fondue back into the roasted pumpkin and set it on a serving platter. Serve with sliced baguette, crackers, or veggies for a warm and comforting fall appetizer or snack!
Cheesy Vegan Pumpkin Fondue Recipe
• Smoky Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
• Smoky Vegan Beer Cheese Dip Recipe
• Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Dip Recipe
• Vegan Pimento Cheese Dip Recipe
• Vegan Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pie pumpkin (about 2½ pounds)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread
- 1¼ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Crackers, sliced baguette, or veggies, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the top off of the pumpkin and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
- Drizzle the inside of the pumpkin with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Roast the pumpkin for 1 hour, or until tender. Set the pumpkin aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, warm the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant and soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the Smoked Gouda Cheeze Spread into your blender. Pour the sautéed shallot and garlic into the blender along with any oil remaining in the skillet. Add the vegetable broth to the blender.
- When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh. Aim for about 1½ cups. Add the pumpkin flesh to your blender along with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Blend the pumpkin mixture until completely smooth, about a minute. Add the lemon juice and blend again to incorporate it with the other flavors.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture back into the skillet and warm over medium-low heat, until heated through.
- Place the pumpkin on a platter or in a large, shallow bowl. If the skin on the bottom of the pumpkin is thin or broken, place it in a small bowl to prevent leakage. Carefully pour the vegan pumpkin fondue into the pumpkin and top with fresh chives. Serve with chunks of bread and crackers or veggies.