Let’s hear it for antioxidants! Did you know that red foods like bell peppers, strawberries, and tomatoes are loaded with powerful antioxidants? Research shows that lycopene and anthocyanins in particular can do everything from fight heart disease to decrease our risk for stroke and macular degeneration. Plus, antioxidants soak up free radicals before they can wreak havoc on our bodies. This recipe for creamy vegan roasted red pepper soup is chock full of flavor and nutrients that help us stay healthy through these cold winter months and beyond.
If you haven’t roasted red peppers before, it’s super easy and very hands-off. Just slice your peppers in half, brush them with olive oil, and set them cut-side down on a baking sheet. Roast for about 40 minutes. You’ll know the peppers are done when they begin to blister and it looks like the skin is lifting. Wait until the peppers are cool enough to handle, then peel the skin away. It’s weirdly satisfying and kind of fun!
The rest of the soup is very simple, yet full of flavor. A little bit of onion, garlic, and vegetable broth is really all you need! After simmering the soup to meld the flavors, it’s time to blend it up until velvety smooth.
Of course, I couldn’t resist mixing in a container of our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread. It took this soup from awesome to next level amazing in a matter of seconds. I used a whisk to fully incorporate the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread into the soup and blend any little pieces that were stubborn to break down. A squeeze of lemon and a pinch more salt added the perfect amount of flavor to this veggie-loaded soup.
Would you look at that stunning color? I easily could have devoured the entire pot by myself! Luckily I didn’t and now I have leftovers for tomorrow. I think this creamy vegan roasted red pepper soup would be so hearty satisfying with a piece of toasted bread for dipping. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Ps. Let me know on Instagram if you make this recipe and what you thought of it!
Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Slice the bell peppers in half and scoop out the seeds. Arrange the bell peppers cut side down on a large baking sheet and brush with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes, until the skin on the bell peppers is blistered and slightly charred. Set the peppers aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the skin from the bell peppers and discard. Roughly chop the roasted red peppers.
- Warm a teaspoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- Add the roasted red peppers to the pot along with the vegetable broth. Turn up the heat to medium and bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Remove the soup from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend on low for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the soup is silky smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch more salt if you’d like. Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy warm.