I hope you all aren’t tired of corn yet because I’m just getting started! If you haven’t seen my recipe for Garlic & Herb Skillet Corn, I highly recommend checking that out before summer passes us by. In some ways it feels like 2020 is the longest year ever, and in others it seems like time is absolutely flying. What a strange year it’s been! If you’re in need of a little bit of comfort (who isn’t these days?) throw a bunch of veggies in your slow cooker and ladle yourself a creamy bowl of Slow Cooker Corn Chowder.
We’ve been through a serious heat wave here in Missoula the past few weeks but I’m not about to let summer pass without making corn chowder. You can, of course, make corn chowder with frozen corn but when corn is in season I like to take full advantage. Let’s blast the AC and eat some cozy, warm soup – shall we?!
What’s not to love about a slow cooker recipe? They’re basically hands-off and always turn out fabulous, since the flavors of the dish have hours to meld together and intensify. Start by adding all of your chopped veggies and corn to the bowl of a slow cooker or InstantPot, which has a slow cook function.
Pour in enough vegetable broth to cover the veggies, but not a drop more. I used three cups, so use that as a starting point. You’ll be surprised at how the veggies cook down and release extra liquid into the chowder. Add garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker along with a large sprig of fresh thyme. Cover, and go!
After five hours on low or eight hours on high, your Slow Cooker Corn Chowder will be almost ready to enjoy. Ladle about a third of the chowder into your blender and blitz it until smooth, then pour it back into the slow cooker. Finally, stir in a package of our Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread. It adds such fabulous smoky flavor and velvety smooth texture.
Tada! You’ve got an ultra comforting and creamy chowder that screams summer. Top your bowl with a few corn kernels and fresh parsley for a nice flavor and texture boost!
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Tomato Soup with Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, plus more for serving
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Several twists of black pepper
- 1 package Plant Perks Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, for serving
- Combine the carrot, onion, red bell pepper, potatoes, and corn in your slow cooker or InstantPot.
- Pour the vegetable broth over the veggies until just covered. Add the thyme and season with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours, until the carrots and potatoes are very tender. Ladle about a third of the chowder into your blender and blitz until smooth, then pour it back into the slow cooker to thicken the chowder.
- Add the Smoked Provolone Cheeze Spread to the slow cooker or InstantPot and stir until creamy and well combined.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and top with more corn and parsley. Enjoy warm.