As a savory food fanatic, chips and dip are my go-to party snacks. You can usually find me hovering by the appetizer table with a plate piled high with veggies and hummus, chips and guac, and these days, a few huge spoonfuls of our cashew cheeze spread! For me, there’s no better dip situation that checks all the boxes than Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip. I’m finally sharing my recipe so you can get in on this spicy, cheezy goodness, too!
By no means do I claim to have invented the multi-layer dip. Layered taco dip has been a staple on football Sundays since before I can remember. Of course, the taco dip you can buy at the grocery store is almost always made with meat, sour cream, and cheese. My Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip tastes even BETTER than the store bought stuff – and I’m not just saying that. Tons of my omni friends have been blown away by the flavor of this dip. Trust me, this stuff isn’t going to last long on your snack table.
The order of the layers in this dip doesn’t matter as much as the container you serve it in. I recommend a deep-sided glass bowl or dish that shows off the pretty layers. To really seal the deal, I came up with a quick cauliflower taco “meat” recipe that I’m now extremely obsessed with. All you have to do is chop up half a head of cauliflower into small pieces (or blitz a few times in the food processor) and crisp them up in a cast iron skillet with homemade taco seasoning.
I strongly recommend making your own taco seasoning, especially if you already have all of the spices in your pantry. Pre-made taco seasoning is super high in sodium, and making your own allows you to control the saltiness. It’s really easy! I’ve been using a recipe from Allrecipes for years (I linked it below) and it never fails. I just cut it in half for this recipe and it was the perfect amount.
With football season approaching, I suspect this Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip Recipe is going to make a regular appearance on game day. Let me know if you make it by tagging me on Instagram!
Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ head cauliflower, finely chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I like this one from Allrecipes)
- 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup pico de gallo, drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 container Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded or finely chopped
- First, make the cauliflower taco “meat.” Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the cauliflower and stir to coat it in the oil. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Add in the taco seasoning, agave or maple syrup, and tamari and stir to coat all of the pieces. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender and deeply browned. Remove from heat.
- Pour the drained black beans into a bowl and add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and water. Microwave for 30 seconds, then use a fork to smash the beans into a paste. Set aside.
- To assemble the Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip, add the pico de gallo to the bottom of a deep-sided glass serving dish. Then layer on the mashed black beans, corn, guacamole, Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, and cauliflower taco “meat.” Top with shredded lettuce and another spoonful of pico de gallo. Serve with tortilla chips.