Jalapeño poppers are a classic choice for spicy snacking. They’re usually filled with cream cheese and often include cheddar cheese and bacon. Not exactly vegan! This recipe for a Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball borrows the flavors of traditional jalapeño poppers but has none of the dairy. And, instead of stuffing jalapeños with cream cheese, I chopped them up and mixed them into a delicious cashew cheese ball made with our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread.
This Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball isn’t hard to make, but it does take some passive time to chill in the fridge. So, you’ll want to start this recipe at least one day before you plan to serve it. With this in mind, let’s get to work!
Rather than soaking cashews overnight, I simply boiled raw cashews for 10 minutes to get them nice and soft. The boiled cashews blended up beautifully in my food processor along with the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, lime juice, and spices.
I recommend using two jalapeños for this Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball Recipe. It may seem like a lot, but the cashew cheese helps cut some of the spice and balance the overall flavor.
For the next step you can use a thin tea towel, a cheesecloth, or a mesh nut milk bag. Just scoop the cheese ball mixture into the towel or cloth and twist the top shut to form the vegan cheese into a ball.
Refrigerate the Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball overnight, then roll it around in some chopped fried onion pieces. You know, the same stuff you use to top green bean casserole at Thanksgiving. So savory and delicious! Your holiday guests are going to devour this cheesy vegan appetizer. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball Recipe
Delicious Vegan Cheeze Board Inspirations:
• Spring Vegan Cheeze Board Recipe
• Holiday Vegan Cheeze Board Setup
• Eco-Friendly Vegan Snack Board Recipe
• Cinco de Mayo Vegan Snack Board
• Farmers Market Vegan Cheeze Board
• Weekend Vegan Brunch Board
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 scallions (green parts only), finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and finely chopped
- ½ cup crispy fried onions, finely chopped
- Crackers, for serving
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the raw cashews and boil for 10 minutes. Drain the cashews and add them to the bowl of your food processor.
- Scoop the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread into your food processor and add the lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt. Blend, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until the mixture is completely smooth. Adjust flavors to taste.
- Scrape the vegan cheese into a large bowl and add the chopped scallions and jalapeño. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Scoop the vegan cheese mixture into a thin tea towel or mesh bag and twist the top tightly so the vegan cheese forms a ball shape. Set the wrapped vegan cheese ball in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap the vegan cheese ball and use your hands to gently form it into a round shape.
- Pour the finely chopped crispy fried onions onto a plate and carefully roll the vegan cheese ball in it until completely coated.
- Enjoy immediately with crackers or refrigerate the Jalapeño Popper Vegan Cheese Ball until ready to serve.