Calling all spicy snack lovers! I’ve got a brand new recipe featuring one of my favorite recent discoveries. Have you tried shishito peppers? It seems like they’re popping up on happy hour menus everywhere I go. Honestly, they aren’t that spicy at all. Shishito peppers give off more of a warm sizzle than actual heat. When blistered on a cast iron skillet, they take on a grilled flavor that is so incredibly tasty. I paired them with red onion (because grilled onions are amazing) and whipped up a quick dipping sauce using our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread for an impressive hors d’oeuvre.
These blistered shishito peppers couldn’t be easier to make, but they’re full of visual appeal and flavor. I love the contrast between the bright green and purple! The first step is to trim your skewers to fit inside your cast iron skillet. If you’re using a grill, soak your skewers in water for a few minutes so they don’t ignite. Then, thread four to five shishito peppers onto each skewer, separated by chunks of red onion.
I brushed the shishito peppers and onions with sesame oil before placing them in my pre-heated cast iron skillet. If the shishito peppers don’t sizzle on contact, turn up the heat a touch. Cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, turning them occasionally. When done, the veggies should be bright in color and have noticeable blisters and char marks. SO DELICIOUS.
Meanwhile, I made an easy dipping sauce by mixing up a package of our Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread with some lime juice and salt. Easy!
Before serving, top the blistered shishito peppers and onions with a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lime juice, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Tada! A simple, yet impressive happy hour snack you can share with friends over a glass of wine or a margarita.
Ps. Tag me on Instagram and let me know what you think of these peppers!
Blistered Shishito Peppers Recipe
with Vegan Sriracha Lime Sauce
Ultimate Vegan Nachos Recipe
Vegan 7-Layer Taco Dip Recipe
Vegan Jalapeño Poppers Recipe
Creamy Vegan Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
Vegan Jalapeño Beer Cheese Dip Recipe
Spicy Black Bean Vegan Taquitos Recipe
- 6 ounces of shishito peppers (about 30 peppers)
- ½ red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the sauce:
- 1 package Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. If necessary, trim your bamboo skewers so that they’ll fit inside the skillet.
- Thread a few shishito peppers and chunks of red onion onto each skewer (I used about 4 to 5 of each) and brush with sesame oil.
- When the skillet is hot (it should sizzle if you flick water on it), place the skewers in the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. When done, the shishito peppers and red onion should be lightly charred and blistered on both sides. Depending on the size of your cast iron skillet, you might need to work in batches.
- Meanwhile, whip up the sriracha lime sauce by mixing the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.
- When done, transfer the blistered shishito pepper skewers to a plate and top with lime juice, salt, and sesame seeds. Serve with the sriracha lime sauce for dipping. Enjoy warm!