The sandwich is a lunchtime classic for a reason. It’s extremely versatile, packs easily, and can even be made vegan and gluten-free. Personally, I’m more likely to prepare salad ingredients at the beginning of the week and throw something in a bowl at lunch. But, I totally realize that there is a need for delicious vegan sandwich options! This sandwich filling can be eaten over a bed of greens or smooshed between two slices of bread for a tasty lunch that suits your fancy. Introducing, my Lemon & Dill Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
Let me start by saying this is one of the fastest vegan lunch recipes I’ve ever created. There’s no cooking required, unless you count toasting the bread. The bulk of the sandwich filling is made with smashed chickpeas. Just drain and rinse your chickpeas and pour them into a bowl. I used a fork to mash up about half of them, leaving the other half in tact. Add your chopped celery, red onion, apple, and cashews.
All that’s left to do is whip up a super easy dressing. I used our Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread because I love the combination of dill and fresh veggies. In fact, I added extra dill to give the salad filling even more flavor.
Scoop the dressing into the bowl with the chickpeas and veggies and stir everything up to combine the flavors. Taste the chickpea salad and adjust the flavors to your personal preference. I added a pinch more salt. Then, spoon the chickpea salad onto a plate of greens or onto toasted sandwich bread for an easy, filling, and nutritious lunch! Let me know if you make my Lemon & Dill Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich by tagging me on Instagram!
Lemon & Dill Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
Chickpea and Wild Rice Vegan Soup Recipe
Creamy White Bean & Rosemary Vegan Soup Recipe
Roasted Carrot Dill Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
Slow Cooker Potato Vegan Soup Recipe
- 1 package Plant Perks Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- ⅓ cup apple, diced
- 8 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
- Combine the Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread, lemon juice, and fresh dill in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chickpeas into a larger bowl and use a fork to smash them. Add the celery, red onion, cashews, and apple to the bowl and stir.
- Scoop the Dill Havarti Cheeze Spread mixture into the bowl with the chickpeas and veggies. Use a rubber spatula to stir and combine all of the ingredients.
- Toast your sandwich bread (optional) and divide the chickpea mixture between four slices. Top with the remaining slices and serve. Store any leftover chickpea salad in the fridge for up to three days.